CEH Exam Tomorrow

<<

venom77

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:09 am

CEH Exam Tomorrow

I'm taking my CEH exam tomorrow :)

Any last-study-day advice?

ps. Don (and others) I did go out and buy a copy of Counter Hack Reloaded and I must say that it is an excellent book so far. From the first chapter it had me pulled in like a story book not wanting to put it down. I would recommend it to anyone that doesn't already have it ;D
<<

oleDB

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:44 am

Re: CEH Exam Tomorrow

My best advice is just for test taking in general. Don't overstudy the night before and go into the exam tired. You want to be well rested. Also, make sure the read each question carefully. As long as you've put in your time reading and using the tools, you will be fine. Often times simply reading the question wrong, or a poorly written question, can trip people up that are taking the test really fast. Anyway, Good luck on the test!!
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:51 am

Counter Hack Reloaded is a great book, but it does not cover CEH exam topics. It is an awesome read, and I would recommend it to everyone, but Ed uses tools and techniques not in the CEH v4 exam. So just be cautious not to focus on them when taking the exam. When you've passed, go back and include his ideas in your daily security life. You'll be glad you did.

I'm assuming you did the self-study route? What materials did you use? Books? Videos? Practice tests?

Best advice the day before the exam? Get sleep!

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

venom77

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:42 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll make sure to take my time on each question and get a good nights sleep tonight.

I did take the class, but was pretty disappointed with it. I got my books in advance, just as Don had suggested. I've read through all of the official courseware, completed all of the labs in the lab manual, and I've read through the ExamPrep book. I setup a VMware lab to play with the tools. I created two study guides, one based directly off of the objectives from the EC-Council website and answers pulled directly out of the courseware. The other from the objectives listed in the ExamPrep book along with the 'exam alerts.' I combined the two and cut out stuff that I know real well into my own 17-page review guide. I'm a bit nervous but at the same time I feel fairly confident :)
<<

LSOChris

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:25 pm

well good luck!
<<

Kev

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:07 pm

Hey good luck with the test. The key is not to worry to much if you pass or fail. If you fail one time its not a big deal to take it again so dont stress it and go into brain lock during the test!
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:31 pm

Good luck and let us Know how it works out for you! You have all our support!

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

venom77

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:18 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys, I appreciate them all  :)
<<

Negrita

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:58 pm

Hey good luck venom77. I'm looking forward to your feedback. Do you know if you''l be doing version 4 or 5 of the exam?
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

venom77

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:28 pm

Negrita wrote:Hey good luck venom77. I'm looking forward to your feedback. Do you know if you''l be doing version 4 or 5 of the exam?

You know, to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure. When I registered for the exam I didn't have a choice, I could only choose exam EC0-350. When picking the date though, it said that the 'test duration' is 3:15 hours, and the v5 test is supposed to have a 4 hour time limit. But when you login to the EC-Council prometric testing site, you have the option of which exam to take.

So.. I'm not too sure. I studied from the v5 courseware and the v4 ExamPrep book, so hopefully I should be covered either way :-\
<<

venom77

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:30 pm

I passed my exam (v4)!!  ;D

Wow! What a good feeling after you're done. I had enough time to finish, and go back through all of my answers to double check them. It was a good thing to, because I picked up on about 2 that would have been wrong. I was quite nervous sitting there about to click that done button, shaking pretty much :P but seeing that screen pop up saying 'Congratulations', wow, what a relief...

This is my first IT certification, so I'm quite excited!

Thank you everyone for your support!! :)
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:45 pm

Well done, grasshopper!

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

venom77

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:54 pm

don wrote:Well done, grasshopper!

Don

Haha, thanks man. Now I just need one of those cool images like on the ECC site to set as my wallpaper....

"Meet Bill. He is a Helpdesk Technician with a difference. He is a CEH."

Maybe one day I'll get a job title change too =P
<<

oleDB

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:36 pm

Congrats dude! While it might not pay off immediately, you will at a minimum have gained some good security knowledge and have that going into an interview with a potential employer.
<<

venom77

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:06 pm

oleDB wrote:Congrats dude! While it might not pay off immediately, you will at a minimum have gained some good security knowledge and have that going into an interview with a potential employer.

I was sure to re-read some of the questions. A few of them were quite wordy and can throw you off. There was one I was especially glad to re-read, I was almost laughing at the answer I had first when I went back through the question.
Next

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker