2 OS

<<

Isidoro

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:44 am

2 OS

Hi, i want to run bsd unix in my computer but i already have windows Xp.
How can i run the 2 os at the same time?
I'am what I'am and not what you think that I'am.
<<

Negrita

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:21 am

Re: 2 OS

Firstly I recommend you back up your important files from your Windows install, before doing anything. Next try reading through paragraph 2.3.3 of the FreeBSD handbook.

In fact while you're there, I recommend you go through the entire FreeBSD handbook.

If you are using OpenBSD, then read through this paragraph in the OpenBSD FAQ.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:50 am

How about running it in a virtual machine using VMware? Check out all of these OSs that you can run:

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/cat/45

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

oyle

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:05 am

VMware, good idea.

I just bought the other day, one of those external USB hard drives. On sale at my local ofice supply store, it's a Maxtor 160GB USB drive, for only $79.98, after $40.00 "instant rebate".  ;D Prices have really come down a lot.

Install VMWare on my local machine, and then install the virtual machines onto the Maxtor 160GB. If Ican ever make it beyond the 3.5 hours plus it takes to install Flight Simulator X.  FSX box says it requires *only* 15GB to install. Have yet to make it all the way through and have it completely installed. Made it to DVD disk2 yesterday, and in rearranging the cables, the USB cable became unplugged, and the install aborted. My fault, doh!

Is a decent VMWare install possible over only a USB 1.0 bus?
Last edited by oyle on Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MCP, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE(NT4/W2K), CCNA, CCA, NWCCC, VH-PIRTS, CEH
--------------------
"hackers are like jedi, crackers are like the sith: do not fall prey to the dark side".

From 1337 h4x0r h4ndb00k: "the ten laws of geek", law x
                  -Tapeworm
<<

mn_kthompson

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:38 am

You're already going to take a performance hit because you're running the operating system in a virtual machine.  That means that operating system isn't going to have as much RAM or processing power available to it.  Then, on top of that, you're giving it a slower hard drive.  I think there isn't much you could do to make that combination result in good performance.  I also think that once you get flight simulator installed you will crap yourself over how poorly it runs.

As for running two operating systems, make sure you check out VMware player.  It is a free download and if you look around on the Internet you can find instructions for legally going around the technical restrictions that make vmware player less appealing than vmware workstation.
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:52 pm

I highly recommend VMWare for test-driving any OS before you commit to installing it. I have many different VMWare images I use to play with and you can also have different images of windows and linux systems running at one time and test exploits on them. I have been very happy with VMWare Player and have seen very little lag from running 3 OS's at one time but i do not game while running images so I might not be stressing it enough.

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

Negrita

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:53 pm

If you wish to use VMware you can just download VMware Player, and after that download either this FreeBSD 6.2 virtuall appliance, or this OpenBSD 4.0 virtual appliance. These are the latest versions of these BSD OS's.

BTW, I have both FreeBSD 6.1 and OpenBSD 3.8 on virtual machines at home and they work just fine.
Last edited by Negrita on Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Return to Other