The Importance of Ethical Hacking

<<

Kev

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:19 am

The Importance of Ethical Hacking

It’s amazing to me the amount of people out there that are totally oblivious to what’s going on out there on the internet.  There is war going on and the stakes are high.  Millions of dollars have been stolen and people’s lives hurt through such things as identity theft. In the middle of all this mess are the security pros trying to hold it all together so people feel safe to shop online and businesses try to survive hoping the public feels secure enough to transmit their credit card info. If anyone was questioning the need for Ethical Hackers I thought I would list a few quick facts:

CardSystems Solutions Inc., a major credit card processor, fell prey to hackers in one of the largest security breaches involving consumer data. Much of the stolen data had been gathered for research and should not have been stored by the company.
AT RISK: 40 Million

Seinsint, a unit of LexisNexis that compiles information from government records and holds personal data about most American citizens was repeatedly attacked by identity thieves. Hackers gained access to U.S. account holders’ Social Security numbers, names and addresses and driver’s license numbers in 59 break-in attempts over 2 years.
AT RISK: 310,000

Students, faculty and staff at The University of Colorado were put at risk when hackers from France and Eastern Europe accessed files containing Social Security numbers, addresses and dates of birth.
AT RISK: 49,000

The identities of San Diego State University students, alumni and employees were jeopardized when hackers broke into a computer server where names and Social Security were stored.
AT RISK: 178,000

DSW Shoes was breached by hackers who stole credit card and checking account data from more than 100 stores.
AT RISK: 1.4 Million

This list could go on and on!!!! 
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:38 am

Re: The Importance of Ethical Hacking

I can attest for the whole identity theft thing. I was in the US Army and the Medical System Tri-Care had computers stolen for an office with SSN# and other info. I had all kinds of Medical bills from a hospital in Arizona when I was living in Florida. It took 4 years to get it off my credit record and I was turn down for loans cause of it. All I got from the deal was a letter telling me I might of been compromised. It sucks having to deal with getting your identity back and it costs alot of money too.

Brian
(AKA Slimjim100)
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

Kev

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:26 am

Dang, thats a bummer Slim, but that’s an important point that some people are too often unaware. Perhaps it is a “faceless” crime but it hurts people never the less.  Crackers often feel that their crime has little impact.  They often think if you steal a credit card number and run some charges, what’s the real harm?  When the victim finally sees the charges he just calls his credit card company and disputes them and then he’s off the hook right? Who cares if the big greedy giant credit card company gets hit? They are a bunch of thieves ripping people off charging high interest and can afford it any way.  That is the cracker mentality, if you doubt it, go spend a little time in an IRC channel.
Last edited by Kev on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

oleDB

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:46 am

What really aggravates me is the credit card companies selling identity theft protection. I kinda think they should be obligated to protect your data with out charging extra for it. Pretty ridiculous.
<<

Kev

Post Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:42 am

Ah good point ! For some reaon I didnt even think about it like that, but you are right.
<<

LSOChris

Post Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:50 pm

well its not the Credit Card company's fault if you dont practice good security procedures with your card info or if a site you used gets  hacked and a bad guy gets your card info...

of course i think they should monitor all their cards its in their best interest...but why do something for free when i can tack that extra 19.95 to your credit card bill once a year...all about the dollar

Return to Network Pen Testing