What the...

<<

mustu

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:41 am

What the...

I've not yet understood why this forum is weird in context of it's display. It exists in a narrow congested frame and it's new white theme doesn't give text boxes any border and I need to guess by clicking where the box is >:(

I think the moderators couldn't yet decide whether it's a website or a forum.

Some suggestions

* Please let the website span the complete width of user screen.
* Please let the forum have a pleasing comfortable look and KILL the left column.
<<

n37sh@rk

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:50 am

Re: What the...

I am not having these issues are you viewing from a mobile device?
<<

mustu

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:12 am

No, I've tried Firefox/Chrome in Ubuntu.
<<

mustu

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:24 am

Screenshot:

<<

n37sh@rk

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:28 am

I have the same boarders but it looks OK. I know Don is still working on the site as this just went live a couple weeks ago.
<<

mustu

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:40 am

This narrow column issue was same in previous version. I don't understand why would someone put a forum into a 5 inch column. it torture my eyes. I've never seen this much shrink-ed forum.
<<

SephStorm

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:23 pm

I dont mind the left frame but I think it should be further to the left. right now all the data is kind of centered, I think the box should be on the left and the forum could be expanded if you think so.
<<

superkojiman

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:26 pm

Have to agree with mutsu, left panel is too big - especially when I'm on a laptop. Horizontal scrolling just to center the thread is a bit annoying. Perhaps if we could allow it to slide away so the forum could take up more space, or have an option to view the forum only. Just my 2 cents, not sure how feasible my suggestions are.
<<

caissyd

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:56 am

superkojiman wrote:Have to agree with mutsu, left panel is too big

I also agree with them. We spend 99.9% of our time in the right panel. The left one doesn't have to be tiny, but our attention is definitively on the right one...
<<

mustu

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:10 am

I think the problem is that the owner want to keep forum as a "part" of their website instead of a normal forum. I believe it's best to separate the forum on a sub-domain forum.ethicalhacker.net and give it the complete room. It's among the best security resources and it should be maintained as a proper forum.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:30 am

Hey Guys,

Good points by all, and as always we'll consider them seriously. Just to know where we're coming from, here's a few things to keep in mind.

Although about half of the traffic to EH-Net is in the forums, a very high percentage of viewers/readers of EH-Net are NOT members in the forums. We get a huge amount of traffic each day from people looking at the calendar, all of the articles and browsing a few forum posts here and there. So from the perspective of trying to convert the visitors into members (and hopefully participating ones), we have to make the most of each page view. Since a number of you are here every day in the forums (and trust me that is greatly appreciated), that means that the content in the sidebar becomes redundant pretty quickly for you. I get that. But for most, it makes accessing the rest of the content throughout EH-Net very easy.

Another crucial thing to consider... keeping the site alive and free takes advertising. By doing it this way, the ads appear on every page and not just the 'magazine' side of the house. That makes our clients very happy. If we want to play with the big boys, this is very important on the backend of things. Here's the response from one of our clients (edited to protect the innocent):

"I really like the new look of EH-Net. It is clear, rigorous and solid, a style that will be highly appreciated by managers and decision makers.
The new design is also very modern and at the same time not too heavy and complex, like (competitor)'s one for example where user gets lost among unstructured content, AJAX and flash. Very well done. Congratulations!"

From a paying client, that is huge!

From a design perspective, the templates used for the new EH-Net are all responsive, which means that the site automatically adjusts based on the screen size. I've looked at it on desktops, laptops, phones, tablets, and in all honesty, I can read it fine on all. I actually like they way it looks on my 10" tablet both in landscape and portrait modes. Also, it not only makes us look just as good as major publications (even though we are a tiny organization), but it also is something that many site owners wish they had... seamless integration between a site and a forum. Trust me when I say that the reason most site owners have what you would call a 'normal forum' is because it is way too cumbersome for most to make it happen. They wish they had what we have.

Last but certainly not least is all of you regulars. Although the regulars make up a small fraction of total traffic on EH-Net, you are our bread and butter. So I hear you clearly, and maybe there's some middle ground. Let me play with the design and see what I can come up with that may give you some more room without breaking everything else.

Thanks again for patience during this transition and for everything you all do for EH-Net. Keep the feedback coming. We've always tried to make this community not only friendly to newcomers (to the site and to the industry), but we've also shown are great respect for the advice we've gotten along the years.

Hope this makes a modicum of sense,
Don
<<

mustu

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:44 am

@Don: Thanks but I've tried visiting from Windows and Ubuntu both but the site doesn't scale to the width of my screen :( There is always some unused white space on both sides.

I will be happy if you just span the forum to unused space.

Screenshot from Windows

Screenshot from Ubuntu
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:01 am

You're correct. It hits the width limit at 1024 and then is responsive on the way down. I'm using a commercial template, so let me see what I can do about getting it to go full width without breaking the rest of it.

Thanks,
Don
<<

mustu

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:05 am

@don: I appreciate your efforts!
<<

caissyd

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:49 am

@Don: I may be able to give you a hand with the template... PM me if you want me to look at it! ;)

Return to News Items and General Discussion About EH-Net