Change is Coming to EH-Net!!

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri May 24, 2013 6:55 pm

Re: Change is Coming to EH-Net!!

I know about the username vs displayname issue. I'm trying to work with the developer of the script that handles the conversion from SMF to phpBB to see what we can do. I'll keep you all posted.

Also, I added a feature to the new calendar where you can submit events for approval. Try submitting some stuff, and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed May 29, 2013 3:54 am

I threw in the small side column on the right-hand side which is now a lot like the old site, but with the modern, slick look of the new site. I also decided to put the forum items in the new column. That way, when viewing the forums, I can make them disappear without affecting the content items on the left.

What do you think? Too much info? Too busy? Too much like the old site? Or did I hit the mark with a blend of the old site functionality with newer ways to get more content in a single glance?

I also made a new top logo image for EH-Net.

Don
<<

n37sh@rk

Post Wed May 29, 2013 6:47 am

Great job so far Don. My only thing is everything on the right side looks kind of scrunched in maybe moving it to the other side or making both sides even would help just my two cents.
C|EH,CPT
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu May 30, 2013 12:29 pm

I will more than likely make some changes after we go live, but I'm satisfied enough with the progress of testing the foundational stuff that I can start moving over the production site. So lots of pre-planning stuff to do, but keep an eye out for the forum going into maint mode soon.

I may send you some extra messages on the side if I need some feedback or help.

Thanks all,
Don
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Hey All,

If you're seeing this message or were emailed of a new post in this thread, then you can see we're live.

Since there are a million little things on the punch list, I'll still consider this beta. Please send me a PM or email me with issues, thoughts... or even kudos!

You should be able to login using your old login name and password instead of the display name like it was on the test site. Let me know if you hit anything strange on that front. But all of you should also still have all of your PMs, and thus clearly private messages are part of the new EH-Net.

I'm aware of most of the issues like:

- We changed the image folder location but kept the structure the same. So we still need to edit old articles, content, etc.
- The Calendar App we use it completely different. So hang in there while we populate it with events and details.
- There are numerous issues with templates, design layout, CSS. Let's start simple... I'm pretty much set on the overall style, but the forums inside the site can be changed. Let me know if you like the style first before we get into the details of each small issue.
- The delay in getting the site live was due to the hosting company having trouble getting in touch with GeoTrust and working out their automated setup of the SSL certs. Since the entire site uses https now, some things couldn't be implemented or tested until that happened. That being said, some browsers treat secure sites differently. Our ads are coming from an ad server that also has its own SSL cert and thus come from https URLs. Nonetheless, Firefox seems to be the only one doing what I want.
- Integration between the CMS side and the forums is there. But I 'm temporarily disabling cross-posting between the 2 for old articles. New articles like the Black Hat USA Giveaway should work fine. Let me know if it doesn't.
- I have the external URL redirects done from the old articles to the new. Next on the list is redirects from the old forum to the new.

Plenty of other stuff I'm not listing as it would be too long. But here we go.

Thanks for your continued efforts in giving feedback,
Don
<<

ziggy_567

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:56 pm

Congratulations, Don!

The little bit I've seen so far looks great! I'm glad to have EH-Net back...

Ziggy
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:25 pm

ziggy_567 wrote:I'm glad to have EH-Net back...

I know, I was getting worried!

I'm glad to see things worked out well in the end. This is definitely a significant improvement.

The only minor items I noticed so far are:
The search at the top only searches the CMS content and not the forums. You have to follow the forums link and then use that search. Maybe add a drop-down to the main search to choose between searching CMS or the forums, just to be a bit more intuitive.

Signatures were carried over, but they're not included by default (you need to manually choose to attach a signature). I'm not sure if I missed an option somewhere.

Google searches are obviously off for the old results. Is there a mapping between the old and new? It might be relatively simple to script redirects to keep that flowing smoothly.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

m0wgli

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:04 am

dynamik wrote:

I'm glad to see things worked out well in the end. This is definitely a significant improvement.

+1

dynamik wrote:Signatures were carried over, but they're not included by default (you need to manually choose to attach a signature). I'm not sure if I missed an option somewhere.

User Control Panel > Edit posting defaults > Attach my signature by default.
Security + | OSWP | eCPPT (Silver & Gold) | CSTA
<<

ziggy_567

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:04 pm

The "View New Posts" feature also seems to be somewhat broken. I see the topics I have read when I click. However, when I came back a couple hours later, they were gone. Is there a delay in when that functionality indexes the forums per user?
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

caissyd

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:10 pm

m0wgli wrote:
dynamik wrote:

+2

I was getting worried too!
Nice job Don, it feels more "2013"... ;)
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:10 pm

Thanks for everyone that was worried. It shows that what we do has merit.

@ziggy_567 - "View New Posts" is a phpBB thing. It was explained in their forums that it works better for those that logout then log back in. Like most of you, I don't really logout. I'll look for alternatives. I hate messing with custom code, because when an update comes out, it leads to a lot more work.

Speaking of which, sorry for the downtime Sunday night. I was trying to put in place a Recent Forum Posts module. The code came from the same source as the Recent Forum Topics module that works fine, so stupid me, I decided to throw it in there without testing on my dev site. It ended up not releasing memory, and I in essence DOSed myself. Didn't notice it for a few hours as I tried to have a little family time on Sunday. Oops.

New Question... I'm not sold on a couple tings and am willing to re-evaluate.

Design of the forums - I might play around with that. So if you visit and it's different, that's me playing with designs. What do you think of it so far (minus the little things like not seeing the white icons on the white bg)?

Social Icons - Looks nice but I'm not hot on some of them requiring that you have an account on a separate service. Looking into it and might change it.

On the other hand, I'm totally digging the new calendar app. Love the look. Only complaint is that it doesn't integrate with phpBB. I may have to do that manually with just simple links and not worry about fancy icons with post counts or integrated per item comment sections. What do you think?

Images - WP has the images buried in a folder deep in the structure of the site. I have some htaccess locks on some of it. Plus I wanted to have shorter links from not only an efficiency angle but also for better SEO. Speaking of SEO, I've learned a lot during the transition. Even though we showed up everywhere in Google, I found numerous ways to do even better in Google as well as Bing, Yahoo, etc. So it is unfortunate, but I will be going through each and every article that has ever been published on EH-Net and upgrading images locations, tags, content, links, etc. Some things I can automate, other take a human eye.

Thanks for the support during this. I hope I made the right choices along the way. If not, we'll jump off that bridge when we get there. In the meantime, keep the opinions and punch list items coming.

Don
<<

superkojiman

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:50 am

Maybe I missed this but, how do I just see the forums and not pane on the left with my avatar, news items, calendar, etc? On the previous forum I believe it was just matter of pointing the URL to the right location. It's just a bit frustrating to have to horizontal scroll everytime just to center the discussions on the browser, especially on a small screen laptop.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:32 am

Doesn't exist anymore. This way it is a consistent look throughout the entire site from the article side to the forums to the calendar and everything in between.

Don
<<

mustu

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:21 am

@don: can we get some more space for forum? Can we please setup it as a complete forum on it's subdomain?
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:36 pm

Hey All,

For helping me during the transition, I need another thing from you. I need for you to accept some prizes. I know, this is a hard task. ;)

I have Mile2 and eLearnSecurity courses to offer up. A few have accepted, but I have a few more slots to fill. Who's interested?

Don
PreviousNext

Return to News Items and General Discussion About EH-Net