JetPack SSID and password

<<

hayabusa

Post Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: JetPack SSID and password

My statement was more or less to say that not ALL VPN's are equal.  Don't just assume that ANY VPN is of equal value.

Assuming the VPN solution is solid, the end result is an encrypted session, anyway, so unless someone compromises your actual host (your laptop), your data should be encrypted, via VPN, as it crosses the wireless.

Just that I've seen a few VPN solutions that I HAVE foind holes in, where I was able to pull off some wizardry, and hack / gather the end-users' data, unencrypted.  So the point of the last sentence was to make sure your VPN solution is solid, too.  Not ALL have holes.  But I prefer a VPN solution that uses a 'full client', when possible, versus one that is established solely across a browser session, when it's initiated.  When I said 'web-based', I was referring to the latter (the browser- based / initiated ones)

Edit: and the VPN situation would apply, regardless of Jetpack or McD's wireless, so don't base the original decision, solely on VPN.
Last edited by hayabusa on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

TomTees

Post Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:30 pm

hayabusa wrote:My statement was more or less to say that not ALL VPN's are equal.  Don't just assume that ANY VPN is of equal value.

Not ALL have holes.  But I prefer a VPN solution that uses a 'full client', when possible, versus one that is established solely across a browser session, when it's initiated.  When I said 'web-based', I was referring to the latter (the browser- based / initiated ones)

Not sure I know what you mean by "Full Client".

Does that mean I would have an application on my laptop to connect to the VPN?

Which vendors offer this?

And does that make a "browser-based VPN" unreliable??

What are your thoughts on WiTopia? 

They seem like the most approachable for someone like me...

(BTW, I just want privacy from bad guys.  I'm not downloading, or doing any hacking where I would need *extra* protection.)

Tom
<<

Jamie.R

Post Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:31 am

I think hayabusa mean full client as in software you install so you would have an application on your laptop/desktop that you need to launch to set the VPN up.

A few vendors offer this but again its swing and roundabouts I used a VPN not so long ago and found out they were storing my password in plain text. So where I thought I was getting my data encrypted they went really securing me in all ways.

I have not used WiTopia so cant really give any advice on it.

There was an article not so long ago on Torrent Freak about VPN it might be worth reading it tents to cover downloading anonymous but still might give you better idea of different services.

http://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-that-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2013-edition-130302/

I hope this help
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

carllyfermo

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:01 am

Human hair wigs now are helpful to more and more people now, and do you know why? Just here you will know how helpful the human hair wigs are to people now. In different conditions such as the party, in the office different hair style are suitable for different situation and even meet with people’s suit and so on. But if need to have the hair cut just to suit one case this is really a big trouble. If so then the discount wigs will give a hand to people.
Previous

Return to Wireless