CEH

<<

st8k

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:29 pm

CEH

Hi All,

I just joined EH, seems like a great community so far! I had a quick question, is the CEH cert worth the time? I understand that it is not a practical like most of the Offensive Security certs so it will be more theory, but I am curious if others have benefited from the exam? (with the exception of HR thinking you are an elite hacker because you have it on your resume  ;D).

Thanks for taking the time guys!
<<

st8k

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: CEH

btw I should mention that I currently have my Security+ and I will be taking the GCIH this summer. So I am looking for another valuable cert to study for in the mean time.
<<

n37sh@rk

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:22 pm

Hello st8k !
I haven't benefited yet, As i am taking it in may but from what I have read on here is that the C|EH is more well known by HR and that's why more people have it. The OSCP on the other hand is far more practical with the exam being a 24 hours pen test forcing you to prove you knwo what you are doing not just know the theory behind it. which is why that's the next cert I go after.
C|EH,CPT
<<

caissyd

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:43 am

For me, CEH help me study the main high level areas of information security. It was more a goal for me than anything else.

Also, we have to be careful here about the advice we give on any given certification. Some seems quite easy to achieve when you have lots of experience, but in my case, it was the first certification I studied for. And since I was totally new to this field, I found it quite difficult (btw, I self studied for it). But today, I would pass it with any study... So maybe that's why many people here think it's kind of a "low" cert. Too many people on this forum are very good...  ;D

So bottom line for me, this cert didn't help me get a job at all and now with the other certifications I have, I really don't need it anymore. But that being said, it was my first achievement in this field and I worked very hard for it, so I am still happy I did it.

Last thing, almost everyone in this field knows about it, even these "CISSP" guys. I believe it is known more than OSCP...
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

Jamie.R

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:31 am

I have never done the CEH Exam but have read the study guides and I think personally for me reading the books and study guide was useful as it helps build you knowledge up. Even tho CEH is not pratical you still need to know the basic and I think CEH is very good at teaching the basic.
Last edited by Jamie.R on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:52 am

If GCIH is next for you, then I would make sure you know networking, Linux and Windows. So if certs are your thing, then go for Network+, Linux+ and a MS Server cert of some kind... or at least study those 3 topics.

If you ever go into an interview and the REQUIRE CEH, then by all means educate them that it is not what they should be looking for if they want a professional pen tester. I've talked to HR people and recruiters, and they were very appreciative of the knowledge. It's also happened that they came back later and thanked me for saving them headaches where they almost hired someone with only a CEH.

CEH is a decent starting point and, as other have said, a good way to motivate you to study, but it WILL NOT prepare you for a real job in this arena. If you already have the motivation, then skip it.

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

SephStorm

Post Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:52 am

I agree with all the users in this thread. The only thing I would advise Don to say is don't "skip" it. If you need a primer on the threats that are out there and the ideas behind the countermeasures, look at the CEH material. Having the cert will allow you to have brand recognition as well as being accepted for some government work that may come along until DoD pulls their heads out of...

again, good material to know, if you practice using the main tools listed in the CEH curriculum, you may be able to get an understanding of the threats against you.

That all being said, I do not support EC-Council or the CEH.
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:57 am

Then why support them by recommending that people not "skip" it?

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

n37sh@rk

Post Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:48 pm

I don't know that he is supporting it as much as stating that it can be a good starting point for someone. From the reading I have done on here and lookin online I decided to go with CEH and then OSCP to give me a foundation as well as "brand recognition". At least having a CEH will get you interviews and you can learn from them weather you get the job or not.
C|EH,CPT
<<

SephStorm

Post Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:34 pm

don wrote:

Then why support them by recommending that people not "skip" it?

Don

its a like hate relationship. The training is a decent introduction. Having the cert has been a boost to my career, so I don't feel I can completely throw them under the bus.
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎

Return to General Certification