Direction

<<

turner.rook

Post Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Direction

Hey guys. This is my first post and I am a newbie to the site. I am very interested in pentesting as a career and just had a few questions about certs and how to get started. I am going to sign up for HackingDojo, as that seems to be a good place to go from novice to professional. It is also within my budget, as to where Offensive Security is not and it seems like you need a bit more starting knowledge. Anyways, I heard that people can start working in the field at Nidan level, although I know this is based on the individual and not a guaranty.

So, my questions to you all, is going the HackingDojo way without any starting knowledge outside of just a+ level knowledge a good idea? Or would time be better suited doing a A+, Net+, Sec+, and then going into the more heavy security certs? I am pretty set on HackingDojo but figured I would get some input on it from people in the field or simply just know more about it than I do.

Thanks for the time :D
Last edited by turner.rook on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Triban

Post Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:49 pm

Re: Direction

Time is always best spent building a strong base.  There is more to pen testing that running a tool and getting shell.  I'm not saying that is all you will learn in these classes.  They are great classes but they assume you have some basic knowledge going in.  What sort of previous IT experience do you have?  Are you familiar with the basics of networking?  Do you know any type of coding (Python, Perl, etc...)?  Do you have a lab you can test in?  Also are you going this route because you love puzzles, analyzing data, and taking things apart to figure out how they work?  If so you are on the right track.  If you are looking to make some big bucks only, then you may not be of the right mind set. 

Other than that, you are on the right path by coming here and asking the experts.  There are plenty here who are willing to help as long as you are willing to learn.  Hopefully one day you will add to this great knowledge base.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

Grendel

Post Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:58 am

turner.rook wrote:I heard that people can start working in the field at shodan level, although I know this is based on the individual and not a guaranty.

Turner - I know we talked about this in email, but if you look back, it's after completing the Nidan (2D) that people have the skill set to perform tests professionally.  Just wanted to clear that up.

After the Shodan, they have a solid foundation and understanding of methodology and be able to grab the "low hanging fruit." The Nidan gets them the rest of the way. As for the 3D-5D, those are classes that provide more focuse on certain subjects, but the Shodan + Nidan are the core courses.
- Thomas Wilhelm, MSCS MSM
ISSMP CISSP SCSECA SCNA IEM

Web Site:
  • http://HackingDojo.com
Author:
  • Professional Penetration Testing
  • Ninja Hacking
  • Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit
  • Metasploit Toolkit for Penetration Testing
  • Netcat Power Tools
<<

turner.rook

Post Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:49 pm

Yeah, that was my mix up. I am just waiting on funds to come in, hopefully on Monday and I can start up. I am chomping at the bit to start my courses and plunge into the world of pentestsing/ethical hacking. Hopefully, seeing as I only have basic computer knowledge with builds and hardware. Nothing in the Programmieng or Hacking environment, I should be able to excel still. I have worked with some tools in backtrack before, but they were all GUI based and I do not have a full understanding of linux/debian command line yet.

In response though to the other response. I am not worried about the money, although I still need to make a paycheck to live, I am more than happy to do what I love even if that means that I just get by. Its about following the heart and not the cash flow in my opinion. I would even be willing to work as a indentured servant for a mentor and teacher in this subject in return. I am ready to put 110% into this and gain as much knowledge as I can.

ps. Edited my above post to fix my mistake :D
<<

turner.rook

Post Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:53 pm

Really as of right now I have the next 2 months, 24 hours a day to invest into learning my foundation in this subject. After that It will be work and and study after. My hearts in it, but I do not have tons of money and really just want to make sure I don't get taken advantage of when I am putting ever everything I have into learning and trying to excel at this venture in life.

Return to General Certification