U.S. kinetic attack on Syria fallout

<<

triznut

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:32 pm

U.S. kinetic attack on Syria fallout

Curious what others on here are thinking about the ramifications if the U.S. uses physical force against Syria? There is already attack campaigns that are being directed towards US financial companies and government agencies that are and aren't related to Syria politics. Also, U.S. military action in Syria goes against what Russia and China want, not to mention Iran as well.

I'm thinking that if the U.S. does get "physically" involved with Syria, that will see a huge increase in cyber attack campaigns against the U.S..

I would like to know what the experts on here opinions are?
<<

triznut

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:22 pm

Re: U.S. kinetic attack on Syria fallout

Well that was a good conversation...

Guess I'll just finish this up then with a friendly reminder to be keep up on some security best practices: better be aware of those low hanging fruits on your networks and locking those down (including those users who will click on anything), Web side...big big targets of course, and are you auditing your system/user passwords? Better be checking those logs!!
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:03 pm

Sorry... busy season for me.

I tend to avoid these discussions on here, not because they're not relevant, but because usually, they become bloated.

My opinion isn't so much that attacks will increase dramatically (if they want to attack us, they likely already are / were.) Just that they'll gain more exposure in the press, because the outsiders are watching more closely.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

m0wgli

Post Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:30 pm

hayabusa wrote:I tend to avoid these discussions on here, not because they're not relevant, but because usually, they become bloated.

My opinion isn't so much that attacks will increase dramatically (if they want to attack us, they likely already are / were.) Just that they'll gain more exposure in the press, because the outsiders are watching more closely.

+1

Although, interestingly enough the Syrian Electronic Army (SEA) were in the news the same day as your post:

http://blog.cloudflare.com/details-behi ... rnet-hacks

http://www.darkreading.com/attacks-brea ... body_cross
Security + | OSWP | eCPPT (Silver & Gold) | CSTA
<<

triznut

Post Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:34 pm

hayabusa - I wasn't looking to start up a bloated conversation by any means. I was just looking to start a "good" conversation on the topic and though others might post up some interesting experiences. Plus, it was a good time to remind others to keep up on some infosec basics.

I also agree that attack campaigns from mentioned countries have been going on for a few years now at least. So not really anything new I guess. But you can bet that as things keep heating up about Syria, that the cyber attacks will heat up as well. There is no doubt that all the big players involved are dumping tons and tons of resources into cyber-warfare technologies.

Thanks for the responses guys.
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:52 am

No worries, triznut.

Didn't think YOU intended it to be bloated. Just that it's usually how those threads end up. Wasn't meant to be mean. ;)
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH

Return to Cyber Warfare