Help needed...

<<

brian12988

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:25 pm

Help needed...

hi i am new here so sorry if i posted in the wrong place.......i am interested in hacking for a living but i dont know where to start and what improtant skills should i need or learn so i would really appreciate if u guys could help direct me...

thanks again and sorry if i posted in the wrong place....
<<

Negrita

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:02 pm

Re: Help needed...

Hi and welcome aboard. I don't think theres anything wrong with the placement of your post, but then again I'm not a moderator here.
What kind of experience do you have? Do you work in IT? Do you understand how OS's work? Do you understand networking? Do you understand basic security principles?

Do you have endless patience and an unsatiable drive to learn and experiment?

What kind of help do you want? What direction are you thinking of going in?
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

oyle

Post Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:34 pm

Yes, welcome.

Rule 4 of "the ten laws of geek" by Tapeworm:

iv. thou shalt help guide those who seek answers, so long as they have complied with law three.
  • with respect to the open-source state of mind, always share information with those who are curious; don't hide it.

You're in the right place.  ;D
MCP, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE(NT4/W2K), CCNA, CCA, NWCCC, VH-PIRTS, CEH
--------------------
"hackers are like jedi, crackers are like the sith: do not fall prey to the dark side".

From 1337 h4x0r h4ndb00k: "the ten laws of geek", law x
                  -Tapeworm
<<

boney

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:52 am

Hey, Welcome to EH-Net,

Well, you havent mentioned any of your expertise domains like, Networking or programming.

For getting started, you need to know networking in depth. Like ports, protocols, port scanners, routing, domain names, DHCP and stuff like this.

Dont worry if  you dont know any of these things, getting started is important !

You may start by working with a local netrworking service providers.

Learn the security concepts, what is data, data storage and the vulnerablities in a network, how to secure them.

These days , there is a big boom for this industry, but you have to be perfect !

All the best for you !!!
Last edited by boney on Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C|EH

All my life I wanted a computer...
Now I want my life back !
<<

Kev

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:19 pm

Welcome to the forum.  The first thing I would recommend is to do research into what the day to day work an ethical hacker is engaged in.  Check it out as fully as you can.  Once you know that, then you can decide if putting the effort in will be rewarding for you. Its not for everyone and some people don’t like the paper work and travel, etc… 

Return to Network Pen Testing