How to find IP from Blogger

<<

p0et

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:28 am

How to find IP from Blogger

Hey Guys,

I've already chatted with Slimjim about this but I'm wondering what the rest of you can provide.  I'm curious to see if it's at all possible to obtain an IP address or other indentifying information with regards to who the creator of a blog is. 

The blog is published on Live Spaces.  http://spaces.live.com

(Just to let you guys know, it's nothing personal.. just thought it would be a fun project)  :D

Thanks!
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE
<<

Kev

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:03 pm

Re: How to find IP from Blogger

I assume your question is how can I go to someone’s blog and see their originating IP.
There really in no way to do that other than hack the site and grab admin privileges. For instance, in PHP forums, the admin can see the IP address of the poster. Of course they may not be worth much if I posted through TOR or even something stronger like several proxy servers around the world. That’s assuming I could stand the painfully long lag that creates. 

Ok, what if I cant breach the server and achieve Admin privileges?  Well, that’s why people are getting trickier with low tech hacks.  For instance, say I take the time to host my own forum or blog. I then go  to a forum or blog that allows me to post and I can entice the blogger to come to my site and post. It’s not hard to get someone to do that actually. I actually dont even need him to post if I know my Html well enough and can just get him to click on a hyperlink! Thats usually easy enough and can give me more info than just his IP!!!  If he does post, I have his IP.  Again that IP might be worthless. I guess my point is, as security gets better and better, you will see more and more attempts to trick people to give up information than high level hacks. 
Last edited by Kev on Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

jimbob

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:18 am

Re: How to find IP from Blogger

p0et wrote:I'm curious to see if it's at all possible to obtain an IP address or other indentifying information with regards to who the creator of a blog is.

Reconnaissance is a skill worth developing and you might be surprised what information you can find out. Don't put the cart before the horse and think about what you want to learn rather than immediately putting a solution on the plate.

Passive reconnaissance could include something as simple as reading the blog. Even if they don't give their name you may find out other details such as their occupation or geographical location. Active reconnaissance could include sending the person a email (if they publish an address on their blog) containing a web bug. You could find out the blogger IP address that way.

Sometimes the easiest way to find out information about someone is to ask them. Think social engineering. Think flattery. Think of how you might persuade someone to give up the goods.

Jimbob

Return to Network Pen Testing