Good books on python

<<

rattis

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:12 am

Good books on python

So as to not high jack the Violent Python thread, I was wondering what people have used to learn python.

I prefer dead trees over pixels on a screen. I've been trying for years, but haven't found a method or book that has spoken to me the way Learning Perl or Unix Shell Programming did.

Things I've tried:

Hello World - Wasn't going down the path I was interested in. More about getting to the point to teach kids how to make a game. (I got it to work with my ex-gf's kid).

Dive in to Python and Dive in to Python 3 - Wasn't able to obtain dead tree versions, but these were alright. Although I only got about a chapter or so in to each.

Learn Python the Hardway - I got a little way in to it. But I felt like I was just regurgitating what I was reading on the screen and didn't feel as if I was learning anything.

Google's Python boot camp - got about halfway through it, but had some questions that I had a hard time finding people that could answer them.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

caissyd

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: Good books on python

Hi chrisj,

I am a developer and I know quite a few languages now. One trick I used with great success in the past is to work on a small personal project. I would buy a few books on the language and try to code something. For example: a small book review web app, a program to write SQL to different types of databases or if you're a little bit more advanced, a simple client-server game like a basic battleship.

In a nutshell, what I found was that there isn't such thing as a "golden book". Unless it's your very first language (and I know you can code), then threat all books has references and read only what you need.

I may not have answered your question, but setting little projects did wonders for me...
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

rattis

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:07 pm

Re: Good books on python

I've tried that too. Mostly with perl. I'd find an itch to scratch, and then scratch it. But then I would move on and not keep using the language.

I've found that I've learned best from books (everyone is different).

I'm really only even interested in python, because it's big in infosec. (haven't seen violent perl or grayhat perl books). :)
OSWP, Sec+

Return to Programming