My GCIH review

<<

supafly613

Post Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:09 pm

My GCIH review

As I stated in my blog post on December 19th, 2006 (http://www.andrewhay.ca/archives/62):

This was the first time I had a chance to use the SANS OnDemand training method and I have some mixed feelings about it:

Pros
    * Very Portable - while out of the office, I was able to access the material when I needed it. This was very handy while waiting for my Red-eye flights back from California to the East Coast.
    * MP3’s For Download - SANS makes the MP3’s available for download which makes flights go by quickly and allows me to learn while in cramped quarters (In case you don’t know I’m 6″4 and don’t travel well on Airplanes designed for 1950’s sized passengers).
    * End of Section Tests - each section ends with a test to ensure that you know the content prior to moving on. This really prevents you from blowing through topics that you THINK you know.

Cons
    * No Dead Trees - I am the kind of person who like to be able to have the material printed out and in hand. I tend to absorb it better when reading old fashioned printed books. I wish that they’d include them in the cost of the On Demand course.
    * Presentation - I know for a fact that these On Demand sessions are SANS’ first crack at self-paced training. They are quite rough around the edges and do require some added bells and whistles to keep my interest. Perhaps they should invest in a different Web Based Training package that doesn’t look like it’s optimized for Netscape 4
    * Accuracy - not of the content but the way it is presented to the user. There was one section that was not covered and I would not have been able to pass the test at the end of the section had I not ordered the books (and used them as reference). I emailed in, as per their process, and it was fixed several days later. Had I not had the books I would not have been able to progress to the next section and 7 days would have felt like an eternity.

Anyone else have similar experiences with this method from SANS?
Andrew Hay
NSA, CCSE Plus, CCNA, Security+, RHCE, GCIA, GCIH, SSP-MPA, SSP-CNSA
blog: http://www.andrewhay.ca
email: andrewsmhay || at || gmail.com
<<

LSOChris

Post Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:24 pm

Re: My GCIH review

i am taking the GCIH OnDemand right now and so far would agree with your assessment.

how were the tests?  did you feel prepared for the exams? did the practice tests help?
<<

p0et

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:13 am

I wrote and passed my GCIH in December, but I also Volunteered at one of the conferences and participated in the conference for free.  When I arrived back home, I studied for a while (don't remember how long), then wrote the practice exams.  These exams were very helpful for me.  I love having practice exams.  They either give ya a wake-up call by slapping you in your face or they tell you to go ahead already and write the real one.

Scored in the 90's % for each exam and I'm now on the review board.  ;)
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE
<<

nightwarf

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:19 pm

Hi, Chris I can see that you have a new cert GCIH and I read that you took the SANS Ondemand version of the course could you share your experience and I would like to know if the course is teorical how can you manage the practical and test the topics...

Regards,
<<

LSOChris

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:08 pm

if you can wait i am doing a review to be posted on EH-net.  if you have any pressing questions, post them up and i'll try to answer them
<<

nightwarf

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:52 pm

Ok, I think this is the question that all try to figure, if you have to choose between the CEH and the GCIH course which one will you choose and why???

Or do you think both complements each other....
<<

LSOChris

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:46 pm

the short answer is SANS by far, because the material is far better.

i'll try to get you a better answer in the review
<<

nightwarf

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:26 pm

As you (Chris) I will take the Ondemand version of this course, could you please tell me how this version manage the practical part of the course. Do I have to mount a network to follow lab assigments or we received a kind of lab material

Please let me know your comments...

Regards,
<<

LSOChris

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:52 pm

oh thanks for the question, i totally forgot about that part.

you get a CD with a VMware image and all the tools and you get instructions on how to VPN into the lab network to use the tools and try some attacks.  worked pretty good.
<<

nightwarf

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:10 pm

Sounds pretty good, when are you going to publish your comments, so far I am 70% sure to take the course by Ondemand format but I think that reading your comments and taking the pro and cons I will get the 100%...

regards,
<<

LSOChris

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:05 pm

what are your other options?
<<

nightwarf

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:49 am

Is just the format of the course, the other option is to travel and take the course on one of the conferences but this includes the extra money for travel and expenses, so basically my only concern is if taking the course using the online format will reach my expectatives and let me know reach the results I want...

Looking for similar courses I found one by InfosecInstitute which also has the online format but I can not find any comments about it so I will try to contact one of their representatives to ask and see which one is the best for my options and money...

Regards,
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:50 pm

Both SANS and the Infosec Institute are quality outfits. The Infosec Inst. is one of our partners for ChicagoCon. Jack Koziol and his staff are top notch. Which courses were you looking to do at the Institute?

Don

PS - Either way you go, you'll get great training. Be sure to tell either of them we sent you.
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Bane

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:48 am

For those of you that have done the CEH and the GCIH, is it worth getting the CEH since I am already a GCIH?

Does CEH cover anything the GCIH doesn't?

Thanks
<<

spyhunter

Post Tue May 15, 2007 10:25 pm

I read this review and was very interested.. However I was pretty disappointed to see the price tag.. 2k USD for the course and $400 for the test? Is that really the cost? Please tell me that I missed something :)
Spyhunter, CEH, Security+, Linux+, A+, CNE(Expired),  MCSE(Expired), CCA(Expired)
Next

Return to GCIH - GIAC Certified Incident Handler