OSCP in current state ?

<<

m0wgli

Post Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: OSCP in current state ?

globus wrote:One more question :

Is it better to take 1 month labs and if I need more time than buy additional time or it is better to take straight 3 months from the start?

Really depends on how much of an issue the cost is to you and how deep you want to go into the topics within that time.

Given the amount of time you can dedicate to it, I'd go for 30 days to start with. After the 30 days are up you can work on any areas you need too without wasting lab time. After that you should have an idea of how much extra lab time you'll need. This approach is only going to cost you an additional $50 if you were to add an extra 30 days to the initial 30 days.

I won the PWB course here last year with 30 days lab time, I'd originally planned to do the course myself with 90 days lab time. However, having used the first 30 days, I'm swaying towards to just extending by 30 days rather than 60 days, and I can't nearly spend as much time a day as you can.

Without the pressure of the lab clock ticking down, I've been able to research some topics far more deeply than perhaps I would have done otherwise.

Have you seen this review?:

http://blog.g0tmi1k.com/2011/07/review- ... k-pwb.html

We all learn differently and do so at different speeds. Also we all have different background experience and not everyone can put in the same about of time. Having now completed the course, I would say if you want to "just pass" the course and can put a good couple of hours in each day then you could get away with doing 30 days - at a push. However, if you want to take your time, learn it and (try to) "do it all", I would recommend 60+ days in the lab. I started off with 30 days, with the hope of cramming it all in as I could spend 8+ hours a day on it. In the end, it took me a solid 30 days in the labs (not including any of the exercises before the lab work), so I ended up extending it by 15 days. If I was to do it again, I'd opt for 60 days and pace myself better.
Security + | OSWP | eCPPT (Silver & Gold) | CSTA
<<

globus

Post Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:36 pm

m0wgli wrote:Have you seen this review?:

http://blog.g0tmi1k.com/2011/07/review- ... k-pwb.html

We all learn differently and do so at different speeds. Also we all have different background experience and not everyone can put in the same about of time. Having now completed the course, I would say if you want to "just pass" the course and can put a good couple of hours in each day then you could get away with doing 30 days - at a push. However, if you want to take your time, learn it and (try to) "do it all", I would recommend 60+ days in the lab. I started off with 30 days, with the hope of cramming it all in as I could spend 8+ hours a day on it. In the end, it took me a solid 30 days in the labs (not including any of the exercises before the lab work), so I ended up extending it by 15 days. If I was to do it again, I'd opt for 60 days and pace myself better.

Yes I have read the review and that 60 hours is probably the best option for me right now because I dont want to be hasty if getting to know new things and polish up everything I know so far ...
It was good choice to ask questions here on forum :)
<<

rockman

Post Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:39 pm

If you can dedicate 8 hours a day to studying, then 60 days would probably be enough.
CISSP, IAM, working on OSCP
<<

KrisTeason

Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:01 am

Having taken the course and looking at your background, I say go for it. It's good you have the programming background. Some people wonder if they have enough and not everyone likes looking at code. To answer some questions:

Is there any measurement if Im good enough to take OSCP course ?
I would read some of the PWB Reviews. A lot of them have listed the individual's background listed off. If the review is on a Security Related blog, you can get a feeling of the persons background prior to them signing up for the course. We also have on here a lot of reviews. Search, search, search!

2. Can I start course every month or there is some period ( I read that 16th march is deadline in this month) ?
At the time I enrolled for PWB v3, they were accepting new students every week. Enrollment will continually be available - it's just a matter of picking a time that best fits your schedule.

3. Is there any more knowledge that I need to have before taking course?
I agree with what MaXe mentioned. Having that basic networking knowledge and being comfortable in a shell will always help. This isn't a course where you point and click to own boxes.

4. The certification itself is it good on today job market?
It's picking up more and more. Here's a quick Dice listing after searching 'OSCP':
http://www.dice.com/job/results?caller=basic&q=OSCP - Yields 16 results currently. I'll tell you that after searching dice for that keyword a couple years ago, you would be lucky to pull back > 5 jobs. It's great to see it getting well deserved recognition.

globus wrote:One more question :
Is it better to take 1 month labs and if I need more time than buy additional time or it is better to take straight 3 months from the start?

I'd say go with 60 days at least. If you do 90 days from the start, your mainly saving money. If you need more lab time after your time expires, your always welcome to purchase more time. Know that Lab Time is valuable. There's a good amount of vulnerable systems sitting out there across multiple subnets. I know OffSec has expanded the labs since I took the course. Be sure to purchase enough lab time according to how much time you can commit.

Though g0tm1lk says if you want to just pass do 30 days, I would advise against it. It's obvious with his blog that he is rather comfortable in BackTrack, and had a lot of time to spend in the Lab. Perhaps 30 days would of been OK for Version 1 and 2 of the course, but again I highly emphasize at least 60.

Lastly, your going to have a blast in the course! Were all here for you if you need  anymore advice.
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

globus

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:47 am

@xXxKrisxXx Thanks for answering most of my questions:) I read most of reviews I could find... because of them I decided to participate in course.

I already signed up for the course and Im refreshing my knowledge about assembly language and buffer overflow because I think I will have most problems with that...

Im starting 17th March and took 60 days lab time.

Keep thumbs for me :D
Last edited by globus on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

globus

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:32 pm

I finished the lab time like month ago :) forgot to share that info... Now Im preparing for exam, rewriting old exploits etc.

Should I be doing something else before exam? :) Any thoughts on that...
<<

caissyd

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:29 pm

globus wrote:I finished the lab time like month ago

How many hosts have you pwn? I personaly found the exam a little harder than the lab... But if you have successfully rooted most lab boxes, you should be fine!
<<

globus

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:23 pm

I only lacked admin network because lab time was over for me...
70% of boxes were pwned by hand no using metasploit, only nmap and exploits from the web.
Previous

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional