Member Feedback.
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:07 am

Re: [Article]-Skoudis - Counter Hack Reloaded: Chapter 7

Even though this book does not specifically deal with a specific certification, I found it to be the most useful book for me when studying for the CEH exam.

All topics were covered with Ed's normal wit and clarity. He covers all the basics of terminology, Linux, Windows, the entire hacking process and the methods with which to protect your own network. It got even better at the end of the book in his chapter on putting it all together. It was like reading 3 chapters of the Stealing the Network series wrapped up into 1. It really gave a full view of the entire hacking process from start to finish with pre-story, tools used, processes used, creativity during, etc.

I know Ed is a contributor to this site, so pardon the bias, but this book is awesome. Highly recommended for any pen testing cert or continuing your security education. By the time you finish this book, you will have been entertained with an easy to read book on what can be considered a highly technical topic. In the end, you'll look back and suddenly realize that you were educated much more than you thought when reading. He makes the material just stick.

That is Ed's gift.

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Kev

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:15 pm

I think highly of this book. I actually have the first version of the book and when I saw that he updated it, I went bought "reloaded" as well. Its a good clear over view of what we do and what we have to protect against. It reads a little easier and flows better than the Hacking Exposed seires IMHO.
<<

smittyb

Post Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:01 am

I just want to echo the previous posts.  I have read Counter Hack Reloaded, as well as other books Ed has written and his delivery is just great.  Going through his books helped me prepare for the CEH exam and would recommend you read these prior to taking the test if you are going in that direction.  Ed is a great teacher and recommend this as well as other works he has written. 
<<

cleanwithit0607

Post Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:20 am

This book is absolutely awesome. I just got done reading Chapter 7, and WOW! I'm hooked, I can't seem to put this book down. I love the layout of this book it's comprehensive, and very easy to read. Ed has a very good since of humor, and writes things in a way that just sticks.

I bought Hackers Exposed, and Counter Hack Reloaded at the same time. I'm pondering whether or not to read Hackers Exposed. Any advice on that?
A+, Network +, Security +, Linux +,

MCP/MCTS: Vista Config.

Work in progress: CEH

Currently Reading: Hacking-The Art Of Exploitation.

Recommended book: Counter Hack Reloaded.
<<

jason

Post Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:28 am

It certainly won't hurt you to read it. Hell, read anything that will hold still long enough.
<<

cleanwithit0607

Post Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:30 pm

jason wrote:It certainly won't hurt you to read it. Hell, read anything that will hold still long enough.

Yea. This book is really holding my attention. I just started chapter 9. i just didn't know if reading Hackers Exposed would be a little redundant. I will go through it after this I guess.

<<

nicsec

Post Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:20 am

We use Counter Hack text at the college I teach for the intro class.  It's a good book.  I even like the follow up "Reloaded."  I picked up the Malware book too and that is also on my recommended reading list for my students.
<<

cleanwithit0607

Post Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:04 am

Thomas wrote:We use Counter Hack text at the college I teach for the intro class.  It's a good book.  I even like the follow up "Reloaded."  I picked up the Malware book too and that is also on my recommended reading list for my students.

I just finished it, and I want to read it again, this time taking notes. Thankyou Thomas for your opinion about the malware book, I just ordered it :P Thanks.
Last edited by cleanwithit0607 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Book Reviews