Membership Fee for EC-Council Certified Members

<<

UNIX

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:26 am

Membership Fee for EC-Council Certified Members

EC-Council introduced annual maintenance fees:

Please be advised, effective January 1, 2016, EC-Council will be initiating the requirement for Membership fees for all certified members holding EC-Council certifications. In the year 2012, EC-Council had announced that it would be initiating this membership fee structure in 2016. We are proud to say our certification membership base continues to grow at a steady rate and the cyber security field is growing as a whole.

Just this year, EC-Council has received “Cyber Security Company of the year award”. The year before, we received the “DHS/NSA Industry Achievement Award” at the CISSE Colloquium for advances in cyber security professionalization. These awards received are evidence of the work we continue to do to add tangible industry recognition and value in our certification programs. We also now have a fully accredited online University- EC-Council University, which produces Cyber Leaders of the future. We are proud to maintain our ANSI 17024 status. We are proud to be one of the world’s largest technical InfoSec certification bodies with over 140,000 certified members in 140 countries across the globe.

Holding a certification from EC-Council comes with many benefits and advantages but comes at an immense cost of maintenance to EC-Council. To continue to provide these benefits and elevate the value of EC-Council Certifications in the market, EC-Council has no choice but to implement a certification maintenance fee of $80.00 per annum.

The EC-Council Continuing Education requirements, which calls for the maintenance of certification through Continuing education credits is still in effect and it is important you maintain currency in the profession.

We understand that the certification maintenance fee may be burdensome to some of our members. To offset the cost of certification maintenance, we have devised a plan to provide direct value to you, our certification holder. For the year 2016, we are proud to announce that Any member certified or recertified from January 1st 2016 onwards and continues chooses to keep their certification active will be eligible to receive one free ONE FREE certification exam voucher upon completion of their latest ECE cycle, with values ranging from USD $125 to USD $650. If the member redeems this voucher, and takes the exam and pass, they will not need to worry about accumulating your required 120 CPE points for the next 3 years!

Members are also eligible to receive exclusive discounts to attend EC-Council Foundation Events such as Hacker Halted and Take Down Con as well as a discounts on additional EC-Council certification programs and material.
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:27 am

Re: Membership Fee for EC-Council Certified Members

And that's the nail in the coffin for me, on C|EH. While the knowledge gained, early on, was beneficial and C|EH IS recognized, it hasn't provided me with enough value to continue to maintain it, going forward. I had a great instructor the first time around, and chose to update it / recertify a while later, when he update course was offered to me as a 'beta', free of charge.

As many (myself included) see C|EH more as one of the entry-level, informational certifications (no practical examination to show real-world utilization of the information covered), I'll choose to invest my time and funds into other courses / areas of study (Offensive Security, for one, who promptly acknowledged the trend these cert bodies like EC-Council have been following for fees, shortly after EC-Council posted that news, and explained that OffSec WILL NOT follow that path).

Pity.

<rant>

I used to be one of EC-Council's testimonial people, but this move, IMHO, just doesn't bode well for their future existence. Examination and training fees are one thing, but if those have slowed due to lack of folks paying to update the certification and there's less excitement out in the industry to attain it, I don't think forcefully requiring 'maintenance fees' to maintain the certification is a wise choice. Additionally, when I 'first' achieved CEH (very early on in their program), the official stance was that the certification would NEVER lapse, and as such, when the Continued Education requirements were added to maintain it, I was already skeptical. Sure, 'knowledge-based' certifications do need refreshing now and then, as the infosec arena is always growing / changing. But growth should be based on choice, not forced. An employer could just as easily look at a certification VERSION, and make a determination as to whether a candidate or current employee has chosen to update / maintain their skill set, rather than the certification body force it upon them, even to maintain their EXISTING certification.

</rant>

And, IMHO, C|EH isn't like CISSP, as far as industry recognition. I also disdain maintenance fees for that cert (CISSP), as well (which I don't currently hold), but due to it's much higher popularity in the industry, I'll 'likely' be 'willing' (I guess) to 'maintain' that one, at least, if / when I pursue it.

Oh well...
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer,
but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved."
- Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP (Former - GPEN, C|EH - both expiring / expired)

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker