Failed my first attempt at the OSCP exam

<<

rockman

Post Mon May 20, 2013 9:22 am

Re: Failed my first attempt at the OSCP exam

hanyhasan wrote:
r0ckm4n wrote:I failed again, but I was so close. I rooted 3 servers giving me 55 points and I had low level access to 2 other servers, but time ran out before I could get root. I will be retaking the exam on June 22 at the latest.

Hard luck , never give up and i was only scared from taking CCIE " from Cisco "  ???. I read the subject from the beginning and let me asking you why there is no support from the trainer or does the material " Videos & PDF " not covering those attacks . The CCIE exam is about troubleshoot the network and more you practice to solve the network issues the faster you can solve the exam and pass but the material does cover the exam objective . Hard luck again & sorry i talked about Cisco here  ;D. Forget about my English every 1  ::)

Thanks and I won't give up. I am more determined.

There is a lot of missing instruction from the course materials, but I have learned a lot. It seems to be there teaching approach and it is working, but if it was covered more in depth it would take as long.
CISSP, IAM, working on OSCP
<<

rockman

Post Mon May 20, 2013 9:24 am

hayabusa wrote:@hanyhasan - The videos and PDF's cover a lot, but because of the 'adaptive' nature of pentesting, there is expectation that not everything in the exam is going to be a 'cut and dry' example of something that was directly covered by the courseware, leaving the student to use their intuition and research skills to find answers, much like a live, real-world pentest would.

@r0ckm4n - keep trying, keep studying, keep working at it.  Pass or fail, as impelse noted, you're learning.  Experience, in this field, comes painfully, sometimes, but it's well worth the effort, and shows your determination and dedication.

Wishing you luck on the next (and hopefully final) attempt!  :)

Thanks, hyabusa! I learn more with each exam attempt. I was close on my last two exam attempts and I believe I will pass it next time.
<<

azmatt

Post Mon May 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Great job r0ckm4n, you're right there. What are you going to work on during the next month?
GCFA, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, CISSP, CEH, GSEC
<<

rockman

Post Mon May 20, 2013 6:11 pm

azmatt wrote:Great job r0ckm4n, you're right there. What are you going to work on during the next month?

Thanks, azmatt! I am going to work on Linux privilege escalation with a focus on missconfiguration. I do OK with Linux privilege escalation when an exploit is available.
<<

azmatt

Post Mon May 20, 2013 9:11 pm

The list of things I need to work on is a mile long but privilege escalation is near the top of the list. After this is all done I'd love to read a post on how you improved yours.
GCFA, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, CISSP, CEH, GSEC
<<

zeebee

Post Sat May 25, 2013 10:48 pm

Keep going r0ckm4n! It was very motivational to see that you learned from the failed attempts and got better.
I am trying too :)
I failed my first attempt at OSCP and in a bad way  :-[ :'( (As many OSCP reviews mentioned I too contemplated a different career in the middle of my exam :P)
Going back to the basics for a re-attempt before Oct 2013...
Keep posting!
"Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason" - Jerry Seinfield
<<

rockman

Post Sun May 26, 2013 10:10 am

zeebee wrote:Keep going r0ckm4n! It was very motivational to see that you learned from the failed attempts and got better.
I am trying too :)
I failed my first attempt at OSCP and in a bad way  :-[ :'( (As many OSCP reviews mentioned I too contemplated a different career in the middle of my exam :P)
Going back to the basics for a re-attempt before Oct 2013...
Keep posting!

Thanks, zeebee! I failed very badly on my first two attempts and didn't even get user level access. What helped me the most was to work on rooting servers in the lab. I worked in the lab for about a month and was close to passing on my next exam attempt. Something else that helped, was for me to try to just get access to a server and the work on privilege escalation. I would get too caught up in trying to get root/admin from the start and once I focused on getting whatever level of access I could get, it made a big difference. I tell myself after each failed attempt, this cert is worth having, if it is this hard then not just anyone can get it or are willing to put in the work to attain the skills to acquire this cert.
Previous

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional