breaking wep 128 bit keys in bridge mode or infrastructure mode

<<

fiqbal

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:21 pm

breaking wep 128 bit keys in bridge mode or infrastructure mode

Hello All,
I am newbie to wireless and I installed 2 wireless access point in bridge or infrastructure mode. Each of AP has its neighbour mac address listed in its configuration. Both of them are connected using wep 128 bit key.  I was wondering if it is secure or not?. If it is possible to crack wep key in the bridge mode as described above?. Is it possible to do the MITM between those 2 AP and if it is what tools would be require in order to perform MITM?.
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:05 pm

Re: breaking wep 128 bit keys in bridge mode or infrastructure mode

Being able to crack the WEP key depends on the Key and the model of the AP. One way to check this is to launch Aircrack and see if any "IV packets" are leaking from the APs. I did make a video on cracking WEP with Aircrak NG here http://www.anti-hacker.info/video.html. Keep an eye out as the info from www.anti-hacker.info will be migrated over to EH-Net soon.

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

shawn

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:53 pm

Re: breaking wep 128 bit keys in bridge mode or infrastructure mode

Touching on what slimjim said if you can capture some IV packets (interesting packets) you can use airreplay to crack the keys faster.  On a basic home network you would probably have to sniff traffic quite awhile to get enough IV packets to crack the wep key.  Airreplay will allow you to do it alot faster.  You can also check out cain as the new versions have a wireless cracking feature built in.
CEH, CCNA, Security+

Return to Network Pen Testing