QuickCert/ SpecializedSolutions

<<

venom77

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:47 am

QuickCert/ SpecializedSolutions

Has anyone ever used QuickCert/SpecializedSolutions for any certification studying? Anything to say about them if you have?
Last edited by venom77 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

JasonJ

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:52 am

Re: QuickCert/ SpecializedSolutions

I have used QuickCert/Specialized Solutions for the purchase of CEH312-50.

The online CBT seems OK. I say OK because I'd purchased the Preplogic DVD set beforehand and didn't seem to get on with this. In fact I still have it somewhere. I found large gaps in Preplogic's material. I then opted for QuickCert. Why buy someone else idea of the material when I could get EC's material at a resonable price.

The service is always available and I never had any connectivity issues nor did I have any issues whenever viewing the material. The explanations through the material seemed to be good enough.

I do have one problem however and this one you might not have. The only problem I have is that I purchased this material around a year ago. When you purchase it you're given online access to the material for a year. No problem here I thought - a year will be more than enough. You're also given free updates to any new material changes.

Then the courseware got updated from v4 to v5 and QuickCert have been slow in updating their content. I emailed them a couple of months ago and they said that even though EC has released theirs the online CBT wasn't ready. I've just emailed them again before coming back here.

I was about to ask if anyone here had a similar issue.

My concern is that my year will expire in March and with this in mind I'm full speed ahead going through the material. The problem is I'm flying through v4 of the material and looking through some of the differences in articles here there is a big enough difference in terms of new tools to concern me.

Would I use them again? I'll reserve judgement until I see how they deal with this issue I have. As far as getting what I expected to get when I paid my money I was more than happy.

I think if I was to look around I've got Preplogic DVD's, EC-Council v4 Courseware, an Exam Prep book, Boson practise exams so I'm hoping I have enough around me to pass this exam.

Hope this helps a little.

Jason
<<

venom77

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:53 pm

Thank you for the info, it's helpful. I understand what you're saying about the time limit. I was offered a pretty good package from the gentleman I was dealing with there, but he gave me a link to a demo for the CEH and I was not very impressed. Yes, it's a demo, but I still thought that it could have explained a little more in-depth information. What's your opinion as far as the quality of the information? Does it seem to cover what it should?
<<

JasonJ

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:45 am

Thats a little difficult for me to answer. The only way you will know this for sure is to buy their material, learn it inside out and then take the exam without seeing anything else. Then and only then can you judge if its covered everything. If you're in the exam and see a question asking you something you've not seen in the material then there's the answer.

As I mentioned before I firstly bought the Preplogic Material and was left confused feeling that I would have no hope in passing the exam with just it.

I then found that you could purchase EC's material and figured that this would be my best chance. After all who would know the material better than them? And who would teach it better than them? Then there were the tools. Yes they are available on the internet and yes there are hundreds of them. I just thought I'd get THEIR CD's for the tools THEY choose in THEIR exam and just learn those.

After finishing all 22 modules I did feel much more confident and did have a number of "aha" moments. I didn't still feel 100% though and after taking QuickCerts test (that you get free) this was evident.

I then got to see CBT Nuggets material and have to say its much more explanatory and I had many more "aha" moments. I felt much more confident with this. They even have sections on setting up VMWare sessions for your tools and labs.

I then purchased the ExamPrep book and I must say how the book is presented "clicks" with me. Maybe its because I've gone through the other material and its becoming less alien. They have warnings throughout the book about specifics on the exam saying that "you need to know this and beware of this".

I would stay away from the Preplogic material. I think its already been mentioned here that they aren't great.

If you were to go with the QuickCerts option then I'd recommend buying something else afterwards. Just so that you have something else to help with a review but also so that you can decide just how good QuickCert were for you.

I can't comment on v5 of the material as I mentioned before. Maybe this has improved somewhat. I would love to find out. Still nothing back from QuickCert on this but I'll let you know.

Hope this helps.

Jason
<<

JasonJ

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:58 pm

This is the reply I received from QuickCert/SpecializedSolutions about the availability of their v5 content:

The CEH v5 is now in editing and will ready for QC and release very soon. If I had a guess I would say about 4 more weeks before it ready.

Regards,

Customer Service

mmmm guess we have to wait.

Return to General Certification