Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:33 pm

CCNA or CEH?

Hey Guys,

I'm wondering what to get for my next cert. I'm ultimately wanting a job
in network security/pen-testing, but it looks like I may need to get a
network admin type job first.  I see that most people who go for their
CCNA already have a year or more of hands-on work experience with the
routers.  I don't have any experience with Cisco at all.  I have my
college diploma in Networking and that's about it.

As for the CCNA study materials, I have the following:

- Boson NetSim
- CCNA TestOut
- Sybex CCNA Study Guide - 5th ed
- Sybex CCNA Fast Pass
- A couple CiscoPress books

Would it be reasonable to study on my own for this cert or should I wait
until I (hopefully) get a networking job, then go for the CCNA later?  If
so, I'd probably start on my CEH now.

Thanks!
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE
<<

LSOChris

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:35 am

Re: CCNA or CEH?

its possible to study for it on your own.  while not absolutely necessary, i would consider picking up at least 2 cisco routers (probably 2500s) off ebay so you can actually play with them.  you'll have to pick up a few serial cables to hook them up.  the actual IOS will be better for learning than any sim.
<<

oyle

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:05 pm

Go for the CEH.

I got my CCNA in Aug. 01. Didn't have any real hands-on exp. Still don't. CCNA expired on me in Aug 04. Cisco is a racket.  >:(  Cisco certs keep expiring on you to get you to keep re-certifying, so they can keep squeezing money out of you. CCIE is only good for two years.  >:(
At least the CEH doesn't expire on you.

If you have an employer that will pay for it, fine. I didn't; I paid for it all myself. I passed the CCNA exam on my 5th time. The only exam I passed 1st time around was 70-218, which got me my MCSA.

CEH is much more cooler than the CCNA, anyway. ;D 
MCP, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE(NT4/W2K), CCNA, CCA, NWCCC, VH-PIRTS, CEH
--------------------
"hackers are like jedi, crackers are like the sith: do not fall prey to the dark side".

From 1337 h4x0r h4ndb00k: "the ten laws of geek", law x
                  -Tapeworm
<<

LSOChris

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:36 pm

good point about the recert. i know lots of expired CCNA holders.  if you decide to go the CCNP route, your CCNA gets renewed as you pass those exams so that's a bit of help, still a bit of a racket...

on another note, even if you have an expired CCNA you can still put

CCNA (expired)

on your resume, it still shows that you should have the background in networking.
<<

oyle

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:59 pm

Yeah, I still have it on my resume. That, along with my Citrix. Citrix CCA in Metaframe 1.8, retired on me May of 04.

I had an instructor one time swear up and down to me that when my CCNA expires Cisco wouls send me an email telling me to stop using the logo, you should roll over and die, etc., unless you recertifiy your CCNA. Cisco NEVER sent me any kind of email telling me to stop using the logo. So I still do, even though I never really had the chance to use any of it. The "school" (I use the term loosely) I went to was terrible; I had to drop out of there before I killed one of them. I went on and finsihed it on my own. Long story, but ancient history, now. Passed exam on my 5th time. Whew!
Last edited by oyle on Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------
"hackers are like jedi, crackers are like the sith: do not fall prey to the dark side".

-Tapeworm
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:40 pm

Being a former Cisco Instructor I can agree with what most here have to say. The whole renew it every 2-3 years is a way for Cisco to make money. I would also like to add that the certs of almost all the networking vendors expire (yes I know some of them like M$ & CompTIA don’t). Experience is king when looking for a job but if you do not have the experience then the cert is away of showing them your proficient in that area. As for studying this all depends on how you like to learn. I would like to warn you that the Cisco tests are worded (in my option)  in a special Cisco way so when you answer the question you need to answer it as Cisco states the correct answer to be even if a better answer is available. I feel this is there way to force you to there boot camps and training centers. I recommend anyone thinking about the CCNA to try the CompTIA Network+ first to get a nice networking cert that dose not expire and this will also get you into the exam mind frame prior to facing the Cisco tests. Be prepared to take the test a few times too. I was luck and pass my CCNA the 1st time and I did not study much but I was already networking with Cisco gear for about 4 years before I just decided to try the test. I would recommend anyone try the CCNA to study and make sure to look at the Cisco Press books too as they are from Cisco. Good luck if you decide to try it and please share your experience with all of us.

Brian
(AKA Slimjim100)
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

oyle

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:21 pm

Here is an article I got in my email today from SearchNetworking.com's Ed Tittel.

"4 IT certifications for IT Pros to consider."

Nowhere on the list is Microsoft. Despite the topic of this thread, this supplies an EXCELLENT answer to the original question by p0et.
Actually, neither the CCNA or the CEH is on the list. I still maintain that the CEH is cooler than the CCNA. You'll get a lot more of "CEH? What's THAT?" then you will from a measly CCNA. At least I did. And still do, sometimes.

Oh yeah, the article is http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid7_gci1239953,00.html?track=NL-375&ad=577651&asrc=EM_NLT_938321&uid=3004399/here.]searchnetworking.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid7_gci1239953,00.html?track=NL-375&ad=577651&asrc=EM_NLT_938321&uid=3004399]http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid7_gci1239953,00.html?track=NL-375&ad=577651&asrc=EM_NLT_938321&uid=3004399.]here.
Last edited by oyle on Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------

-Tapeworm
<<

oyle

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:32 pm

From almost the same page; (I actually got to this page by clicking a link in the blue sidebar) is news of the first practice test released to guage your readiness for the CCIE written exam. The practice test is $279.00. eeeYowch!

Then when you're ready for the real thing, you have to shell out $$$ for travel to one of the ten sites to do it at.

Even if I wanted to go for the CCIE, none of the schools in my area could help me. Not even New Horizons. The NH by me doesn't want to shell out the dough it would take to set up a computer lab to go for the CCIE.

Article is here:
Last edited by oyle on Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------

-Tapeworm
<<

p0et

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:06 pm

Listening to many people who've failed the CCNA so many times is getting me very worried!  :o  I'm going to get my Network+ before I even attempt the CCNA now. I don't want to keep shelling out $$$ and failing it.  I am also a LOT more interested in the CEH then the CCNA too.  Eventually I'll get the CCNA, just not sure when.

Thanks for all the replies.
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE
<<

oyle

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:10 pm

Good decision. And AFTER I passed the exam, Cisco decided to re-design the exam to make it tougher.  :-\

It's supposed to be worth it, in the end. I'm still waiting for proof of that to happen.
--------------------

-Tapeworm

Return to Career Central