CEH 4.0 Vs CEH 5.0 - Any Advice

<<

PAL1144

Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:27 pm

CEH 4.0 Vs CEH 5.0 - Any Advice

Hi All,

I am planning to take CEH training in INDIA by March. The problem I have is they are conducting  only 4.1 Version Training,  and if I miss this schedule I don't have time and opportunity for another several months. So I am thinking go ahead and pursue the training and certification.

Is that add any value taking 4.0 exam in March since it expires by this summer.

Is that possible to pass 5.0 exam  having attend the 4.1 Training...

Any suggesstion is Appreciated.

Thanks
Security Policy - Action, even if imperfect, is better than inaction
<<

Kev

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:46 pm

Re: CEH 4.0 Vs CEH 5.0 - Any Advice

I believe so but its so new that we dont have much feedback on it yet. From what I am told, if you are strong on the former, the later should not be too difficult.
<<

oasis_inin

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:14 am

I am on the same boat as PAL1144 is  :(

one question here......

Is the exam retiring on June 1st or the certification?

I believe its the exam......so one will remain a CEH even if he/she clears v4 exam.

Please advice.

Regards
oasis_inin
CISSP, MCSE Sec, Security +
studying for C|EH
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:16 pm

Once a CEH always a CEH. The exam version is retiring, not the cert.

If it were my money, and I took a 4.1 class, I would make darned sure that I'm taking the 4.1 version of the exam. It doesn't mean that you can't pass, but v5 does cover many areas that v4.1 does not. So I wouldn't gamble.

Knowing that exams are created from a pool of questions, one person's v5 exam may have many more new questions than someone else's v5 exam. It all depends on the luck of the draw.

I know it may not be what you want to here, but if you miss the window of opportunity on the v4 exam, you may have to start again with the v5 materials. You won't have to start from scratch, but you do want to study the right material for the right exam.

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

venom77

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:03 pm

don wrote:Once a CEH always a CEH. The exam version is retiring, not the cert.

I hope that first part stays true. I'm a little curious as to what Sanjay was referring to when he made the following post in the ECC Portal:

At the same time, we are hoping to organize a CEH UPDATE class at the same conference. I.e. if you have a CEH V 2 or 3 or 4, you can attend a 2 days class and get ready for CEH V 5 exam - ahead of the new exam retake policy that will be introduced in the months to come. We will be making changes to the certification status (inline with ANSI rules) and introduce both CPE and exam retake policies.

I wonder what changes will be made and if it will only apply to 're-takes.' Any idea what ANSI rules are? I glanced around their website, but didn't find anything.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:27 pm

Gotta love changes to cert programs. So maybe I'll have to update my saying:

Once a CEH v4 always a CEH v4.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

venom77

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:50 pm

Haha, nah, I think you'll be alright. Their rules for displaying your certification say that you're not allowed to put "version X" after your certification title ;)
<<

LSOChris

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:21 pm

i'm gonna call bullshit on initially saying its a cert with no recertification policy then changing your mind and giving it a recertification policy...one word comes to mind, greed.
<<

Kev

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:21 am

Agreed. It’s a sad state if the Ethical Hacker finds himself trying to protect himself between 2 places. At one side is the cracker tying to break in and on the other side is those who would certify him! They say no mans an island, but perhaps that the life an Ethical Hacker?

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker