Forensics Programming

<<

Mrtim83

Post Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:27 am

Forensics Programming

Im finishing my undergraduates in two semesters...one of my very last electives is a class I chose. Forensics Programming...this thing sounds super exciting. Anyone have any experience in Forensic Programming?
CISSP, EnCE, CEH, CHFI, CNSS 4011-4016, Security +, ACE. Double major: IT Enterprise Management and Information Assurance & Forensics (2014)
<<

SephStorm

Post Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:15 am

Re: Forensics Programming

Honestly i've never heard of it. The vast majority of the results i'm seeing are in relation to school, so i'm not sure how much it will be used in the field... Sorry.
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

Mrtim83

Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:12 pm

I found what the course was about. Thanks for the reply though :-).
Here is the course description:

Students learn to develop and apply software tools and technologies to assist with the recovery, preservation, analysis and presentation of computer code and digital evidence. Topics include log file and registry parsing, analysis of memory and core dumps, assembly language, machine code, and stack analysis. Theory/Lab

I'm assuming this is beyond basic encase and ftk since all that was covered in previous electives and this a higher elective.

After speaking to other graduates it sounds like we will be doing: writing our own forensic programs and scripts to help automate the forensic process as well as integrating our scripts and programs into forensic investigations. A lot of what my school does is based around Tulsa University program wants. We feed a lot of kids into the masters program. Dr. Shenoi is a genius.
CISSP, EnCE, CEH, CHFI, CNSS 4011-4016, Security +, ACE. Double major: IT Enterprise Management and Information Assurance & Forensics (2014)
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:30 pm

If you're interested in this type of thing, you should acquaint yourself with the Volatility Framework as well (if you're not already familiar with it). Andrew Case regularly speaks about it at cons, so be sure to also dig up some of those videos. Aside from being an awesome tool in general, it's all open source, so you can really learn a lot by just digging through the code.

Also check out Violent Python (my review here) and SecurityTube's Python course. Those are fantastic resources that will bolster your Python skills and also specifically touch on some forensics topics.

Good luck with the course.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

Mrtim83

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:23 pm

Yeah I have already done security tube python. It was a fantastic course. Violent python I have a copy, it is good too. But it seems a lot of the python books out there just essentially do the same thing as the last python book or course.

Return to Forensics