Anyone complete OSCP and Netwars Continuous/Tournament?

<<

Anarky

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:40 pm

Anyone complete OSCP and Netwars Continuous/Tournament?

Sooo, I' have my GCIH and have completed both netwars continuous and tournament. I'm enrolled in OSCP but don't start for another week, but am curious if anyone has taken it along with netwars and can compare the two? Thanks.
<<

impelse

Post Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:40 am

Re: Anyone complete OSCP and Netwars Continuous/Tournament?

I was reading the Netwars continuous the other day, how do you feel it? how is the process inside?
<<

jrdoty

Post Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:50 am

I've done the two day Netwars tournament but I am thinking about signing up for continuous. Did you think that Netwars Continuous was worth the price? Did you learn a lot?

I haven't taken the OSCP yet and I'm sure a lot of people of these forums have and can tell you the difference. But from what I have read they are very different.

Netwars is more of a hands on trivia CTF, at least for the first few levels.

The OSCP is more of a course. PDF material and videos. And then a giant lab to just hack your way through. Their motto is "try harder" so you won't find any hint buttons like in Netwars. The only guidance you can get is from their IRC channel.
<<

Anarky

Post Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:59 am

I liked it. It's one of the first larger CTF's I've done. There are 5 levels, the first 2 are more knowing your Linux then hacking, the 3rd and 4th are exploiting, and then there's a 5th level that is castle vs castle. Though each level is a new subnet(at least 3, 4, 5) and for the most part only contain a few computers(Not sure how many are on offsec's, but from the reviews i've read, there appear to be many more). You use their launch platform, so your are very limited with tools (There is metasploit, but it's an older version) which in the end turns out to be nice. It forces you to learn how to do it without using the tools you may not have in a network.

[edit]

I do believe i learned a lot(I've done a handful of boot to roots and 1 other CTF on that scale but was mostly windows machines and all exploited via metasploit), and as far as the price, my company picked up the bill.
<<

jrdoty

Post Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:06 pm

What about the other stuff? On their Netwars page they say that some of the challenges have to do with defense stuff like system hardening, intrusion detection, forensics etc.

How was that content?
<<

Anarky

Post Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:09 pm

I think they added some forensic stuff, but I never did it. As for the system hardening, I believe that has to do with level 5 castle vs castle.

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional