<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: New elearnsecurity offering

Ooh, ooh ooh. I know! Pick me. Pick me.

Woops. Sorry, Can't say.

What I can say is stay tuned to EH-Net for hints, as we have some fun things planned with eLS. I have a funny feeling it has a little to do with their mystery. Mwoo ha ha!

Don
<<

impelse

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:33 pm

Those guys at elearnsecurity always create the surprise, any way it is valid to guess so I begin to guess:

Something with Forensic or exploit development.

What do you think guys.
<<

SephStorm

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:46 pm

I'm think maybe multiple programs? They definatly mentioned divergent paths. Exploit development, I think I saw something about antivirus... *drool*

Amazing a guy who can't program a lick is so into stuff requiring programming.
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 pm

I have a feeling it's an exploit dev course, at least I hope so!
<<

m0wgli

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:06 am

They've updated the site and announced it as:

ARES - Advanced Reverse Engineering of Software.
Security + | OSWP | eCPPT (Silver & Gold) | CSTA
<<

SephStorm

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:44 am

<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:57 pm

I hope they release the syllabus soon. I'm very interested to know what will be covered in this course.
<<

m0wgli

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:41 am

<<

SephStorm

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:45 am

I emailed them, its not clear what level of experience is required with ASM/programming before someone attempts this course.
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:15 pm

I have spoken to them regarding that issues and they said the "advanced" part is definitely confusing because this course is for newbies and advanced people. Newbies will be able to start this course but they need to know it will not be easy and they will need to study pretty damn hard.
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:19 pm

I noticed in the syllabus that they will base the training on Windows NT. Will there be a time when companies start gearing their training's towards more "modern" operating systems?
<<

m0wgli

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:46 pm

YuckTheFankees wrote:I noticed in the syllabus that they will base the training on Windows NT. Will there be a time when companies start gearing their training's towards more "modern" operating systems?

Wikipedia wrote:Windows NT is a family of operating systems produced by Microsoft, the first version of which was released in July 1993. It was a powerful high-level-language-based, processor-independent, multiprocessing, multi-user operating system. "NT" was expanded to "New Technology" for marketing purposes but no longer carries any specific meaning. It was intended to complement consumer versions of Windows that were based on MS-DOS. NT was the first fully 32-bit version of Windows, whereas its consumer-oriented counterparts, Windows 3.1x and Windows 9x, were 16-bit/32-bit hybrids. Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Home Server, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Windows RT and Windows Server 2012 are members of the Windows NT family, although they are not branded using the name "Windows NT".

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT

I'm pretty sure the use of "NT" is referring to "New Technology", rather than Windows NT 4.0 specifically.
<<

Armando

Post Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:25 am

Hi all
Thanks for you interest in what we do (as always).
Glad to see that there's so many people already speculating around the course and I thought a few clarifications are necessary.

Pre-requisites
The course is not for already advanced reverse engineers or exploit developers. The course is comprehensive and starts from the basics.

Still, due to the nature of the course, you will require some basics that will be discussed during the launch webinar AND in the course page released on 24th.

Windows NT

Well, seriously, do you really think we would base a training course on NT 4.0 ? :D
NT is the code base for all the modern Windows operating systems as m0wgli correctly stated.
So this course will teach you how to perform application analysis on XP, Vista, 7 and 8. The kernel might differ a little bit but they all come from the same code base and architecture.

We all shed tears when we see old computers in the Computer History Museum, but not so much to base a training course on those ;)

Only few days until you know everything. Also during the launch you have the chance to enroll at a discounted price. Even more if you are a current student!

See you there
<<

UNIX

Post Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:59 am

Armando wrote:The course is not for already advanced reverse engineers or exploit developers. The course is comprehensive and starts from the basics.

Then why name it "Advanced Reverse Engineering of Software"? :P

Are there any plans for a course on the same topic but towards more experienced users? :)
Next

Return to Network Pen Testing