Passed SANS GSEC

<<

n37sh@rk

Post Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:15 am

Passed SANS GSEC

I took and passed my GSEC last week! I can finally put that behind me. I also received an invite to mentor the SEC401 course. Does anyone have experience with that? I want to gather as much info/alum experience to make the decision. I don't feel like I live in an area where they will have courses often. Yet I feel like I can give back to the community even if one person was to take the course.
<<

SephStorm

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:59 am

Re: Passed SANS GSEC

Congrats! I'd head over to TechExams.net to ask about the mentor program, there may be a few already.
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

n37sh@rk

Post Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:28 pm

Thanks! Ill check that out.
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:02 pm

Just apply and get approved as a mentor if you're interested in it. You're not under any obligation to do anything after that.

I believe you need a minimum of four people, and you're responsible for spreading the word, obtaining a space for the weekly meetings, etc. It can be difficult to get going from a logistical perspective.

The money itself isn't worth the trouble IMHO. It's something extra, but you really do need to be interested in it from a community perspective, like you stated you are.

You also need a stable schedule because you have to commit to weekly sessions (one book per week), which makes it pretty much impossible for anyone who has a traveling position.

Do you have any other specific questions or concerns? I'm not really sure what you want to know.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

mackwage

Post Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:13 pm

dynamik wrote:The money itself isn't worth the trouble IMHO. It's something extra, but you really do need to be interested in it from a community perspective, like you stated you are.

I have heard the exact same feedback. I am doing my first mentor session for GPEN the first of the year. Several others have told me they were glad they did one but will most likely not do another.
<<

n37sh@rk

Post Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:30 am

Thanks for all of the info! I am going to at least try once class and then see how it goes. I'm not sure I will get the 4 people though I live in such a small area that the cost might be prohibitive. Either way I feel like I need to at least try and spread the knowledge of security.
<<

mackwage

Post Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:22 am

n37sh@rk wrote:Either way I feel like I need to at least try and spread the knowledge of security.

You can also start a blog. :) I just recently started mine ( https://rootisthelimit ). I am going to try to do both red team and blue team stuff on mine. But you can install tools that allow you to track number of visitors so it makes me feel better about getting the security word out!

Depending on your job, you could also do awareness seminars for the community. I work for a consulting company and we do quarterly technology seminars and all client companies are invited. We recently started adding security awareness tips and topics to them.
<<

n37sh@rk

Post Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:40 am

Not a bad idea I have heard alot of people say start a blog! I will deff ad that to the growing list of things to do lol. I do work for a consultant as well and I think we are going to start something like your company does, with the seminars. Security is all about awareness and it seems like your company is headed int he right direction!

Return to Security