wireless card help

<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:23 am

Re: wireless card help

USB - Linksys' WUSB54GC worked well for me (but doesn't support wireless N)

PCMCIA - Netgear had some that worked well

I haven't see the link posted (maybe I missed it,) but you'll find good info here:

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compatibility_drivers

That should give you at least a starting point for aircrack compatible cards.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:52 pm

hello hayabusa and other freinds, i couldnt connect to the internet becuase of my modem's problem. Anyway . Hayabusa  i have 2 quiz of u. 1 can you use the linksys models for pentest? Do u think its a good card for a beginner like me? 2-  the link that u provided for me is good bt it says i can use my previous card dwl 525 for pentest and as u know i couldnt how can i make sure about my wireless card which i wanna buy? And  i found the dlink dwa 110 as one of four recommanded cards as i found in the which i sent in the my previous post bt idk it supports  paket injection. Thank u hayabusa you always help me in this forum thank u so much
ICS Academy Network Security Certified
<<

hayabusa

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:24 am

'Some' of the Linksys models work.  You need specific models / versions, to make sure they have the right chipset.

I can't speak for every card on that list (I didn't write the list, and it's more of a community effort.)  But like I said, you need to ensure, if you're testing it, that the model and revision are the same. rev 1.1 of a card might have a suitable Atheros chipset, where rev 1.11 changed it.  The list is sometimes VERY specific.  You might also have to load extra modules to make a card work.

If you want help with a specific card, I'd suggest posting specific info (all details) of it, and we can look into it.  But without the card, in hand, we can't test it to confirm it works, unless one of us has that exact card.

Good luck, keep trying, and let us know card details, and we'll try to help further.
Last edited by hayabusa on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

hayabusa

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:27 am

PS - along with the specific make and model you're testing, please post the output of lspci for the given adapter, as well.
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:40 am

i wanna buy one of this cards:

1-D-link DWA 110
  Chipset: Ralink
  Driver: RT73

Comment about the driver: Driver available from manufacturer:  http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2 , or works with daily cvs rt73 drivers http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/rt73-cvs-daily.tar.gz, just add {USB_DEVICE(0x07d1,0x3c07)},\ in rtmp_def.h

MAC Range : 00:1E:58
  Vendor Id: 0x07d1
  Product Id: 0x3c07
  FCC ID: KA2WA110A1

Ralink makes some nice b/g chipsets, and has been very cooperative with the open-source community to release GPL drivers. Packet injection is now fully supported under Linux on PCI/CardBus RT2500 cards, and also works on USB RT2570 devices. However, these cards are very temperamental, hard to get working, and have a tendency to work for a while then stop working for no reason. Furthermore, the RT2570 driver (such as that for the chipset inside the Linksys WUSB54Gv4) is currently unusable on big endian systems, such as the PowerPC. Cards with Ralink chipsets should not be your first choice.

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/s ... hp?t=12452

2-Tp-link tl-wn722n V 1.8
  Chipset: Atheros
  Drriver:  ath9k_htc Support in kernel

comments about the driver: Atheros and Zydas USB 802.11n cards. The rest of atheros chipsets excluding the ones mentioned and MIMO series as well as fullMAC (these are rare, only found in embedded devices) should be supported.

Comments about the chipset: Windows. The latest madwifi-ng patch makes it possible to inject raw 802.11 packets in either in Managed and Monitor mode at arbitrary b/g speeds.
The madwifi-ng compatability list is an excellent way to determine if a card is compatible with the aircrack-ng suite. Atheros, the chipset manufacturer, also has a web page that enables you to lookup chipsets for products incorporating their designs.
http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/s ... hp?t=48211

3-Tp-link tl-wn821n v3.1
  Chipset:Atheros
  Driver: ar9170usb Driver in mainline kernel since 2.6.30.

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/s ... hp?t=47717

4-Linksys WUSB600N v1
  chipset: Ralink
  Driver: rt2870 Driver included in mainline kernel since 2.6.29

Hayabusa thanks for helping me again. and i wanna tell you something else i want to use the card with backtrack 5 R1 live cd and
i am new on backtrack i hope i can work with D-link and Tp-link becuase they are chiper then Linksys!!!!!!
Last edited by cyber.spirit on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

jinwald12

Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:10 am

i swear by the alfa AWUS036NHA it has an atheros chipset so it can go into monitor,master and ad hoc modes,can do packet injection and it is 802.11N compatible it is in my opinion the best wifi card for pen testing out there
where did all the fun go?
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:45 pm

jinwald12 wrote:i swear by the alfa AWUS036NHA it has an atheros chipset so it can go into monitor,master and ad hoc modes,can do packet injection and it is 802.11N compatible it is in my opinion the best wifi card for pen testing out there

Firstly that i found a dlink dwa 510 pci adaptor and its awsome i have no problem now. And i already know that alfa card is great as i mentioned before i cant buy alfa coz of some problems
<<

jinwald12

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:28 pm

this is a newer alfa card then the one vivek recommends which in my opinion is shit it can not go into master mode which is vital for EAP attacks on modern kernels but if you can't get one from a store near where you live i recommend ace hackware they sell this particular card and ship to pretty much anywhere domestically (U.S.) for 10$  and internationally for 20$ not a bad deal ether and it's run by hackers for hackers 
where did all the fun go?
Previous

Return to Wireless