My OSCP review - story...

<<

globus

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:35 am

My OSCP review - story...

So here is my journey with OSCP...

At first for those that are wondering if they should take the course; If You never tried to perform SQL Injection or install apache/nginx etc.(general linux stuff) or have atleast some programming background, dont take this course for now... Learn some basic stuff about programming, exploiting web applications and unix in general then register for course... Because without those You are lost in my opinion.

Okey back on topic... So I started with 60 days course, I was lucky because I could spent any amount of time daily in the labs... My plan was to go through videos and then go to machines - in general it was good plan but the choice is per person. So I finished videos after 2 weeks, because in meantime I could not resist looking at my lab network and trying to get machines with my current knowledge ! :D
I need to state something important : DO NOT USE METASPLOIT ON MACHINES ! I met people on IRC who struggled with machines but from talking with them I noticed that they used metasploit for every step of exploiting and that was wrong in my opinion because You wont learn anything from using metasploit. I only used metasploit on my 4 last days in labs, before that every exploit/etc. was found online and modified by me(only like 3 ;) ) rest was useful in state that they were.

About exam : You need to know how to manage time because it is important thing... I started it 4 p.m. and I was working at machines to 4 a.m. and by that time I almost passed exam, but then I decided to take 2h nap because sitting straight 12h and working on machines was very exhausting... so I started again at 6 a.m. but nothing could click the way I wanted to:( So I decided to go bakery to get fresh bread etc. in general breakfast :) after finishing it everything striked the way I wanted ! :D
Before the end of time I managed to write to "alpha" report so everything would be there... Took another nap but this time it was 4h. At 8 p.m I started to finishing up report, send it after 2h and I could not sleep :(...

The result was emailed to me 3 days later(I think because of Defcon) - the waiting time and I have passed :)

To summerize:
-everything is step by step so no problems in making it work
-EVERY MINUTE I SPEND THERE WAS WORTH IT !

ps. sorry for my english :)
<<

UKSecurityGuy

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:21 am

Re: My OSCP review - story...

Congratuations for passing - and thanks for the review.
<<

Master Of Puppets

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:13 am

Thanks for the review! If you don't mind me asking, how much experience did you have prior to taking the course?
<<

globus

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:08 am

Master Of Puppets wrote:Thanks for the review! If you don't mind me asking, how much experience did you have prior to taking the course?

It is from my other post :

Code:
started about 7 years ago in cracking/decrypting (before college), switched about 2 years ago to pentest web applications, Im writing paper on pentesting web app. as my graduation paper...
I have knowledge in linux/windows worked for some time as admin in small company...
At college learnt basics of ASM and programming ARM... Basics of C/C++, in free time I code in C#, python... for work I coded in php and javascript... okey so back on topic...
Read most of the books on metasploit,pentesting, watched and practiced metasploit course from security-tube...
<<

impelse

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:21 pm

Congrats
<<

rockman

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:22 pm

Congrats!
<<

prats84

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:42 pm

Thanks for sharing your methodology.
<<

azmatt

Post Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:27 pm

Thanks for posting this. Those of us who plan on taking this course but haven't yet really appreciate it.

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional