OSCP (Offensive Security Certified Professional) Certification

<<

monkeymind

Post Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:46 am

Re: OSCP (Offensive Security Certified Professional) Certification

Well, i did it.  Signed up for the class starting on the 16th.  So, this next week will be spent going through linuxcommand.org (again) and finishing up Hacking Exposed, as prep.  I'm going for the extended lab time, as I want as much practice as I can get before attempting the challenge.

I've no doubt that my number of posts to this forum will go up significantly during this process.  You lot are too good a resource to pass up. 

Woo! I'm a little nervous, as this will be my entry into Ethical Hacking.  But, I'm very excited about the course!
<<

Kev

Post Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:01 pm

Excellent.
<<

dva

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:37 pm

Hi Guys. I was interested in this course right from the start. Now after reading all the feedback my interest really went up!!! I/m glad to hear it as I signed up for the class last week, I'm starting on the 16th !!! ... like monkeymind!!!!

I don't have strong knowledge with Linux, just basic, and hopefully that will be enough + I'm gonna go through Google for Linux command for the whole next week.

Guys, just one question: I didn't use IRC before, I just installed it on Windows (mIRC), somehow I cannot find the Offensive Security channel (#offsec) :( , probably I'm doing something wrong, could somebody give me some info on that. That will be greatly appreciated.

bY THE WAY: For those who passed the challenge already - MY CONGRATULATIONS !!!!
<<

venom77

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:03 pm

Hi dva,

Welcome to EH-Net! Good to see you already taking advantage of the great wealth of knowledge that the members here love to share. And we hope you continue to contribute as well :)

As for your mIRC connecting... Are you able to connect to the server? Make sure you type the server name correctly, and use port 6667 (or 6697 for SSL if it's supported; not sure). Once you're connected and you see the MOTD and such, you'll need to type the following command to join that channel (chat room):

Code:
/join #offsec

That will open a new tab into that channel (make sure you put a space between '/join' and '#offsec') and you'll probably see '@muts' and '@ziplock' hanging out in there (they're almost always there). The '@' in front of their name means that they are a channel operator (channel moderation abilities).

Any other problems, feel free to post! Hope you enjoy the course as well. I thought it was very well done and provided a great overview of some of the very useful tools included with BackTrack.
<<

dva

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:03 pm

Hi venom77,

Great, I've got it thanks to your excellent tutorial :) I just didn't join to the channel properly.... now I can see @ziplock and a bunch of other people over there... great. THX venom77!!!

I'm happy to meet you here and on mIRC guys ...

Based on your overview I really get more attracted by the course...
<<

Negrita

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:38 am

dva wrote:I'm gonna go through Google for Linux command for the whole next week.

There's no need to Google for Linux commands (well you can if you really want). There's a one-stop-shop for learning Linux commands at LinuxCommand.org.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

venom77

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:04 am

dva wrote:Hi venom77,

Great, I've got it thanks to your excellent tutorial :) I just didn't join to the channel properly.... now I can see @ziplock and a bunch of other people over there... great. THX venom77!!!

I'm happy to meet you here and on mIRC guys ...

Based on your overview I really get more attracted by the course...

You're welcome! Glad you got it working. I don't come into that channel too often anymore, but when I do I just use my OS ID, os2208, as my nick. Perhaps we'll run into each other there :)
<<

dva

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:01 pm

There's no need to Google for Linux commands (well you can if you really want). There's a one-stop-shop for learning Linux commands at LinuxCommand.org.

Great!!!, Thanks. I like that; will go with this one then...

You're welcome! Glad you got it working. I don't come into that channel too often anymore, but when I do I just use my OS ID, os2208, as my nick. Perhaps we'll run into each other there Smiley

Thanks again.
Sure we'll meet on IRC, my nick is the same one I'm using here: dva. I like your idea using IS ID as a nick :)
Last edited by dva on Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

kcirtap

Post Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:23 pm

hmmm I'm still thinking about this course.
Do you recomend this course if you'll pay it by your own money? ???
Is this the same with the C|EH course or more better?
Thanks and good luck to everyone!
C|EH, GPEN
<<

venom77

Post Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:37 pm

kcirtap wrote:hmmm I'm still thinking about this course.
Do you recomend this course if you'll pay it by your own money? ???
Is this the same with the C|EH course or more better?
Thanks and good luck to everyone!

It's definitely a good course if 1) You're interested in using BackTrack 2) You're somewhat new to BackTrack and aren't familiar with many of the tools.

If you're already pretty competent with using BackTrack, then you could probably skip this course and wait until the next one comes out. But if you fall into the 2 categories above, then yes, it's a great course.

It is different from the CEH in that it only covers the use of BackTrack and the tools included within. The objective is the same: ethical hacking.

Hope that helps :)
<<

kcirtap

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:49 am

will this boost up my career in security?
I'm using BT before and little bit familiar. but i want to learn more and do more hands on.

Right now i'm still a n00b in security field, im still getting my job experience  ::)
I'm around 70% convince to take this course.

ISC2 has credited Offensive Security 101 with 40 CPE credits. CISSPs, Get your credits today!
Interesting. Let see i hope i can make it on the 16... ;)
C|EH, GPEN
<<

monkeymind

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:44 am

Hey dva, looks like we'll be classmates!

kcirtap, have you decided to join us in this round?  To answer one of your questions, I'll be funding this myself, as I do with most of my training.  Usually, I do self-study, as it's what I can afford.  But, with this type of tool, instructor-led is the best route - for me, so it was worth it to sign up.
<<

kcirtap

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:41 am

Looks like most of you guys will start training today?  ;D
i didn't make it but i'll try on the next batch.
Well good luck to everyone! See yah there!
C|EH, GPEN
<<

jtrav14

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:26 am

I would like to hear from someone that has completed the course. From the demo video it seems to be a decent course.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:29 am

OSCP now has it's own board. So feel free to ask additional questions in new threads.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
PreviousNext

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional