Application Security Domain and Career choices with MNC's.

<<

pwntoken

Post Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:14 am

Application Security Domain and Career choices with MNC's.

Dear Readers,

I am new into this community and I hope you all had been on your upwell health. Regarding my portfolio, I am a web application security analyst with little to 4 years experience on the application security. Regardless of the aforementioned title, I would be heavily due to get the right enlightment in career choices. This post would cover some of the basic information I would be needing to keep myself indulged to streamline and choose better options with help of hounorable experienced candidates playing by the information security career domain. As this is my first post and irrespective of it being the first post, I would definetly be precise and be descriptive about the required information.

Some questions in regards to career choices would be:

What are the better options in the applications security market? Is it consultancy or MNC Job's (9 to 5 Jobs)?
    Are candidates without a qualification holding but still with skills outweight the qualified ones with no skills?
    For a average scoring degree but with a vast skillset on information security domain with herequired certs good?
    Are the above good for MNC's and are better paid?
    Are information security domain on MNC's better than the private ones?
    What would be the work stress on MNC's (such as with SAP Security in Capgemini) to that of the privates?
    For whom security consultancy is well suited and enough paid off?

On another aspect, I would ask certain pinpoint questions on Application Security domain itself, since I believe I am more interested within the boundaries of application security and feel passionate about the same.

What market value application security is now of today and likely to be in future?
    Does application security consultants make a good career mapping?
    What are the required credentials/certificates for such a choice?

I would like to kindly provide me with these answers and show me a way since It's way too complicated to narrow things down all by myself. At past, I had been on a job payscale in 3 different private companies and still find it great since I love the work and love what I do for the living. But does that have to change since people had been pointing me out that MNC's are better and they pay better with those who have crossed the certifications mark on behalf of academic performance. To enlighten everyone since I expect honest answers, I dropped out of my graduate from college degree, went for the job and got the experience, I re-enrolled for a similar less workaholic degree and had been working on my way out and still have a different job with the same Job portfolio as previous.

Thank you and have a great day ahead.
Regards,
http://www.pwntoken.wordpress.com
<<

venom77

Post Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:35 pm

Re: Application Security Domain and Career choices with MNC'

What are the better options? Depends how you define 'better' and what you're looking for. If you're looking for a predictable schedule and going to the same place all the time, then the typical 9-to-5 is what you may be after. If you want to travel, see different organizations, and (more likely) charge more, then consulting may be for you.

Candidate qualifications and skills? I don't know if you mean a degree or certification in terms of 'qualification' but I think experience trumps everything. A degree and/or certification will help show interest, foundations, possibly advanced skill sets, but your experience will likely speak for itself at that point.

Web application security is of high value, as many targets are breached via web application. Between that and mobile devices, I think the value will remain for at least some time.

I don't know what MNC is, so can't answer some of your questions.

Again, the career choice is up to you. Do what you enjoy doing. If you're looking for something specific other than that, you may want to evaluate your reason for being in the profession.

Good luck.
<<

pwntoken

Post Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:59 pm

Re: Application Security Domain and Career choices with MNC'

venom77 wrote:What are the better options? Depends how you define 'better' and what you're looking for. If you're looking for a predictable schedule and going to the same place all the time, then the typical 9-to-5 is what you may be after. If you want to travel, see different organizations, and (more likely) charge more, then consulting may be for you.

Candidate qualifications and skills? I don't know if you mean a degree or certification in terms of 'qualification' but I think experience trumps everything. A degree and/or certification will help show interest, foundations, possibly advanced skill sets, but your experience will likely speak for itself at that point.

Web application security is of high value, as many targets are breached via web application. Between that and mobile devices, I think the value will remain for at least some time.

I don't know what MNC is, so can't answer some of your questions.

Again, the career choice is up to you. Do what you enjoy doing. If you're looking for something specific other than that, you may want to evaluate your reason for being in the profession.

Good luck.

MNC = Multinational Corporation. It could be accenture, TCS, Wipro, etc. I do love applications in general. I am into development first and would then take up security seriously. I am already into security as a practice as well as having a moderate view of general server side webapp security. Thanks for your information.

Return to General Certification