Stay away from CEH. At a time when there were no organized offerings for training on ethical hacking, then maybe this was a good first step into a new world. That time is long gone. Not only will you not be ready for what the professional world has to offer by just attaining a CEH cert, but there are so many more options out there... and better ones at that.
- If money is no issue, then go take a SANS course either live or online with Ed Skoudis. You will never regret the decision.
- If you're looking for a more economical first step, try www.elearnsecurity.com
. They have a student track for not only students but also newcomers to hacking. Then you can step it up to the Pro course and more.
- Then when you're really ready to step up your game, go for www.offensive-security.com
- If money is non-existant, try www.cybrary.it
. All Free! All the time!
- Plenty of great books out there. Even some oldies but goodies at your public library. Or watch https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning/
for a free ebook every day.
or my recent find to get my kids into coding... www.codecombat.com
. For a college-style course, you can't go wrong with www.edx.org
In the end, choose you're own path. With all of this out there, the only obstacle is yourself!
Hope this helps,