Where and how to gain knowledge?

<<

ethicalhack3r

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:57 am

Re: Where and how to gain knowledge?

Maybe a sticky thread is needed for new comers? There seems to be a lot of 'how to get started' questions.

EDIT---

LOL Just realised that this is a sticky. :P
<<

dalepearson

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:49 pm

I am abit late to the party here, but I will add my 2 pence worth.

In general you will find the InfoSec community to be a friendly and helpful bunch, but as with everything in life you need to also help yourself.

You say you NEED to learn about hacking, and perhaps this is getting you off on the wrong foot from the begining. I think you need to do some research on what you think hacking is, why its of interest, what your looking to achieve. If its so you can hack your mates wireless you might be in the wrong place.
If you want to understand the culture, the concepts, mindsets and more then your in the right place.
As Chris has already said look around the forum for a wealth of knowledge, and try and identify where you want to focus.

You say your new at this, so why not start with some security fundamentals books, or if your into hardware hacking check out instructables and hackaday.

Google is your friend :)
<<

SJF1978

Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:07 am

I'd agree with steirks.... having read some of the books mentioned I'd add Secret and Lies to the list by Bruce Schneier. The CEH course is also an enjoyable place to start, if like me you like working to an end goal and structure. (Helps me focus and as some guys have already stated gives motivation to obtain the information required (ie researching topics and reading!)
CISSP, CISM, CEH, ISO27001, MCSE, CCNA and Security +
<<

Dtag

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:32 pm

Ok has anyone ever seen or heard of a site called hack this site?  From what I read on it it's sappose to teach you the basics to the more advanced but I question the site entirely.  Anyone ever heard of it?
<<

Ketchup

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:47 pm

I've used it.  The concept is great, but I think that there are better implementations out there. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

pizza1337

Post Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:43 pm

I know i haven't been here for a while, i was busy with school, i have finally graduated high school.

here is a blog post i made few days a go.
I am not hired by a company to pentest, or work for someone who lets me hack, so i don't want to get in trouble for hacking without permission. I am sure some people are like me too and they don't want to get in trouble. so i just have few vms i can hack and learn from it.

http://t3hgr0up.wordpress.com/2010/06/0 ... -to-learn/
Knowledge Resource is Power.
<<

charliemong

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Dtag wrote:Ok has anyone ever seen or heard of a site called hack this site?  From what I read on it it's sappose to teach you the basics to the more advanced but I question the site entirely.  Anyone ever heard of it?

I have used this site. It has some interesting things on for noobs like me.  ??? though my search for knowledge is as ever leading me away from studying what I should be for work.

There are some good Python tutorials about as I have been hammering these for a while now and its finally starting to glue in my head. Had a look at perl and to be fair I wont be ready for it for a while yet. Not till am comfortable with Python.
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
- Sun Tzu
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:09 pm

@charliemong - ++1  ;D

I like your signature.  That was the quote I'd used, in my previous one.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

eth3real

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Dtag wrote:Ok has anyone ever seen or heard of a site called hack this site?  From what I read on it it's sappose to teach you the basics to the more advanced but I question the site entirely.  Anyone ever heard of it?

I love that site, I used to play with it a lot when I had nothing better to do. My favorite part was the App puzzles section. :)
Put that in your pipe and grep it!
<<

charliemong

Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:06 pm

hayabusa wrote:@charliemong - ++1  ;D

I like your signature.  That was the quote I'd used, in my previous one.

Thanks Dude i like my "Art of War" 

Still studying my nuts off thanks to your advise. Nearly finished all my M$ stuff (along with python etc). Then after reading Dom's american werewolf in london post about the 7 safe guys I asked about ages ago am gonna pop down and do their CSTA. Should be a good grounding for the OSCP.
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
- Sun Tzu
<<

pharmerjoe

Post Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:42 pm

I remember using it aaaaages ago, and it was decent. Not sure if its changed since I was on it, but it was very much centred on Web Hacking, so good in that sense, but not quite comprehensive enough.
<<

wellyou

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi,

It's an old thread but guess i can just add on to this thread instead of create a new one.
After hangout for a few years in IT customer service, finally i secured my dream job..to be a pen tester.
However i need to start from a verrrryyy basic things as i didn't have any knowledge in IT security and perhaps the only reason i got this job is because i played with Hellboundhackers during my student life which is 4 years ago.

I have degree in Software Programming, but what can i say that, hacking start with network knowledge. I have to learn bout IP, Port, Linux, Server, etc.

there is no easy way and no spoon feed information. Apparently IT professional didn't enjoy teaching newbie who asked without doing some initial research. At least you should have a general ideas of the thing before getting to more in deep knowledge.

Self learning indeed a necessary criteria in this field. There is no other magical way to gain this skills. Hope i can success :)

Perhaps my post didn't related to this post...but i feel like i need to say it...hehe..
<<

hackermiller

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:09 am

I would consider starting by taking the SANS Security Essentials class. Although it is a little expensive, it is a great place to start. There is also a TON of resources on sans.org under "resources". The two main focuses are Network Penetration and Application testing. Personally, I would start with Network Penetration (external and internal). Learn the tools that are used. Backtrack/Kali, NMAP for port scanning and service detection, Nexpose/Nessus/OpenVas for vulnerability scanning, etc. You should study not only how the tools work, but what and how they are doing it. A good penetration tester can test manually and with the tools. Hope that helps.
Mike Miller
PCI-QSA, GIAC/GSEC , MCSE
http://www.cyberprotectiongroup.com
Previous

Return to Network Pen Testing