Pen Testing Lab

<<

El33tsamurai

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:02 pm

Pen Testing Lab

Looking to make a set of tutorials about setting up a pen testing lab from hardware and box build to virtual servers/nodes ect. on the network.

What are you guys looking for? Where would you like to see this start? What kind of budget should I gear this towards? Anything else?
<<

prats84

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:03 am

Re: Pen Testing Lab

Would be great if you can show like different network subnets and components showing a more real-life scenarios. For example something like OSCP labs. How they have couple of networks separated by firewalls.

By saying oscp i dont mean the hosts details etc. But just more on having some virtual Firewall between the networks. How to automate the start and stop of VMs. May be restore from snapshots.

I had a little difficult time to do automate restore from snapshots.

Thanks.

Pratik
<<

UKSecurityGuy

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:28 am

I'll 2nd prats84's comments.

A couple of random VMs with vulnerable copies of linux on them does not constituate a realistic corporate network.

In my own test lab I have a linux machine acting as a webserver in the front end, and GNS3 providing a virtual firewall between that and the main network. Within the main network I have several microsoft machines (Virtual machines provided free from Microsoft's download centre) set up with a few flaws such as insecure DNS update allowed, and shared Administrator passwords.
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:04 am

prats84 wrote:Would be great if you can show like different network subnets and components showing a more real-life scenarios. For example something like OSCP labs. How they have couple of networks separated by firewalls.

By saying oscp i dont mean the hosts details etc. But just more on having some virtual Firewall between the networks. How to automate the start and stop of VMs. May be restore from snapshots.

I had a little difficult time to do automate restore from snapshots.

Thanks.

Pratik

I been doing alot of research on how to automate the vm refresh like the oscp. I been planing on using PFsense as the firewall to separate all networks, does that work? Or are you interested in seeing other firewalls as well?
<<

JohnE

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:24 pm

Perhaps have a machine running an IDS to test bypassing them. Same with anti-virus.
<<

UKSecurityGuy

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:37 am

The trouble with putting AV and IDS in these kind of networks is that they're rule based. Different products have different rule sets, so even if you put in an AV that can be bypassed - it doesn't indicate that all AVs can be bypassed.

Firewall-wise, the flaws tend to be in the rulebases of these devices rather than the Appliance/Application itself, so I'd suggest that any firewall would do - as long as it's got a couple of flaws in the rulebase - allowing the tester to poke through between different tiers of the application stack.
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:41 am

UKSecurityGuy wrote:Firewall-wise, the flaws tend to be in the rulebases of these devices rather than the Appliance/Application itself, so I'd suggest that any firewall would do - as long as it's got a couple of flaws in the rulebase - allowing the tester to poke through between different tiers of the application stack.

I was thinking of having two paths into the network one with a firewall and one without.
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:49 pm

Anyone looking for anything else?
<<

jrdoty

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:13 pm

I second everyone's comments above. I've been doing some research into this as well. I've felt like the classes I have taken are realistic enough or don't go to the next level with just a single vulnerable VM. I would like my pen test lab to have segmented networks with multiple machines/ web apps. IDS, AV, SIEM. I've looked into GNS3 before but I don't have the IOS images to work with.

My plan is to build my Pen test lab in October but I have begun to collect resources on it. Paul Dot com and Joesph McCray have talked a lot about good pen test labs. Some links
https://blip.tv/pauldotcom/building-a-s ... ap-6543666
http://seclists.org/pauldotcom/2010/q1/1035
http://mail.pauldotcom.com/pipermail/pa ... 08584.html
http://castroller.com/podcasts/Pauldotc ... ly/3401222

Also this book seemed to have some good info on setting up advanced pen test labs
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1849517746

Although AVs and IDS's are rule based it is better than nothing. A realistic pen test would have network security devices like these that you will have to work around.

Return to Tutorials