[Article]-Review: CEH iClass by EC-Council

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:38 am

[Article]-Review: CEH iClass by EC-Council

awesec was one of EH-Net's Free Monthly Giveaway winners when EC-Council's iClass was up for grabs. He promised a review of the course and here it is. Well done and many thanks.

Permanent link: [Article]-Review: CEH iClass by EC-Council

[i]Image

Review by Michael Heinzl AKA awesec

The CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker) certificate is without doubt one of the most heavily discussed security certificates in the english-speaking world, which was one of the reasons why I was curious about it and what challenges I will face with it. As the topics to be covered are very broad based on their published course outline, I was at first skeptical if everything would be covered in enough detail in order to pass the CEH exam successfully.

As questions about CEH pop up every few days, both general ones or in particular about preparation and revision, I hope that this review will help to answer a few of them as well as introduce all of you to EC-Council's own training named iClass. As they describe it:

"iClass is EC Council’s live, online, instructor-led training platform. iClass makes our entire catalog of vendor neutral certifications available to you in multiple schedule formats, dates, and times."

Let's jump right in and take a look.

As always, EH-Netters are morally obligated to let us know what you think and offer thoughts in return. OK... not really, but it does help us figure out what articles will be of most interest to our readers.

All the best,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

What90

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:14 am

Re: [Article]-Review: CEH iClass by EC-Council

Interesting piece from awesec, so many thanks for the honest and direct write up.

Reviews like this really help to understand who and what level of ability and knowledge the course is aimed at. With new security training coming on to the market, seemingly weekly, understanding on what to spend your money on for the best training is critical.

@ Awesec -I assume you'll be taking the exam soon, any chance of a follow up post on what your thoughts of the exam were?
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:33 am

You are welcome, What90.

I passed the exam not too long ago. Personally I think that the course helped, though I'd also say, that still some self-studying is required in order to pass. I had on my exam quite a few questions about topics and programs which were not covered during the course. I am not sure if I would have passed without any self-studying, but with a needed passing score of 70% (105/ 150 questions) it shouldn't be too hard anyway. Especially when you have some experience and were into security prior of taking CEH, it's not that hard. Usually I always try to be 'perfect' in what I am doing, so I did much more than was needed and passed with something like 98%.

As stated, I see CEH more as an 'advanced' beginners-level cert in security and for this kind of people the course most probably would be a good help. I think it also depends very much on which kind of learning type you are. If you are fine with self-study only and work through the materials well, I am sure you can pass as well.

If there are any more questions please let me know.
<<

venom77

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:45 am

Nice job on the article, awesec. Good review :)
<<

Dengar13

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:57 am

Very nice review indeed.  Here is a question that is slightly off-topic: does anyone use the C|EH portal/forum?  I received access when it was first created and it was very rough around the edges, but have no idea what it is like these days.  I may need to see if I still have access since my C|EH is from version 4. 
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

impelse

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:16 am

Good review
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

venom77

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:18 am

Dengar13 wrote:Very nice review indeed.  Here is a question that is slightly off-topic: does anyone use the C|EH portal/forum?  I received access when it was first created and it was very rough around the edges, but have no idea what it is like these days.  I may need to see if I still have access since my C|EH is from version 4.

It's nowhere near as active as EH-Net, though activity has been picking up a little the past week or so. I log in to the portal daily.
<<

Ketchup

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:34 am

I haven't used it in a while.   There weren't many interesting discussions there last time I used it, so I kind of stopped logging in.  

Nice review awesec!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:38 am

Glad you like it. :)

Still waiting for my CEH welcome kit to arrive, but if I remember correctly, it takes approximately 8 weeks.
<<

nixLizard

Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:39 am

Hi, new member here. I read your article and thank you - I signed up for the 1 day review class as I just failed the CEH exam the first time around. So close.... I think this class will put me over the edge along with the extra study time I have taken. Will post back feedback after I have finish the class.

Return to /root