[Article]-Course Review: eLearnSecurity Web Application Pene

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:47 am

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

ImageAs security testers and ethical hackers, we are all looking for a better and more efficient way to infiltrate our clients’ target networks. For some time now, breaching an organization from the external-facing network has been much more difficult, as security has been more tightly controlled. Next Generation Firewalls (NGFW), Intrusion Detection/Prevention Systems (IDP/IPS), Demilitarized Zones (DMZ), and other implementations of layered security have become increasingly prevalent in security conscious organizations. As the defense has adapted, so has the offense. Both the good and the bad guys alike have turned more attention towards attacking weak web applications and are finding that these websites are the gateways into the network of the target organization. To keep up with this trend and to provide the required knowledge and skills to those responsible for testing web security, new courses have arisen with a focus on web applications. Enter eLearnSecurity Web Application Penetration Testing (WAPT), a new course by the provider of online security training.

EH-Net Exclusive 10% discount with code: WAPT-10P3M
Expires August 31st 11.59 PM PST

Most high profile attacks in the news these days happened because not only is web and cloud usage skyrocketing, but it has also become the low hanging fruit in many organizations. Web vulnerabilities may lead to information disclosure, session hijacking, stolen sensitive information, and even system compromise. Is your organization ready to handle these types of attacks? Do you have newer employees that need to get up to speed with their co-workers? Are you a seasoned professional looking to keep up with the latest attack trends? Stick with us after the break as we take an extensive look into the latest online course and certification for web application security.
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

azmatt

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:19 pm

Thank you for the writeup!
GCFA, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, CISSP, CEH, GSEC
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:18 pm

Re: [Article]-Course Review: eLearnSecurity Web Application

azmatt wrote:Thank you for the writeup!

And it's from billv, a name we can trust ;)

Good deal. I was hopping some info would come out about this one soon. It's pretty much what I expected, which is to say sleek presentation, great material, and grammatical errors. That was my experienced when I reviewed v2 of their flagship course, and they also told me an editor was used then. Might be time to find a new one. Those silly errors needlessly take away from what would be a damn near flawless course.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

m0wgli

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:26 pm

Re: [Article]-Course Review: eLearnSecurity Web Application

@billv Good review.

I had a dilemma earlier in the year, buy a new bike which I really needed or buy the course (I had the opportunity to get the course with a 50% discount as an existing student). I've got to say the walk to work hasn't been that bad!

dynamik wrote:It’s pretty much what I expected, which is to say sleek presentation, great material, and grammatical errors. That was my experienced when I reviewed v2 of their flagship course, and they also told me an editor was used then. Might be time to find a new one. Those silly errors needlessly take away from what would be a damn near flawless course.

+1

This is my third eLearnSecurity course now and if IIRC the only issue I've had with any of the materials so far has been the grammatical errors (and this is more of an annoyance than a hindrance to learning in my experience). However, it is something that needs to be addressed.

billv wrote:The second unique item to eLS is the way n which you can purchase lab time. You can purchase lab time for a specific duration in consecutive days or in total number of hours. For example, you could purchase 30 days of lab time April 1 and your subscription would expire at the end of the month. Alternatively, you could buy a block of 60 hours and your time will only decrease as you’re using it. In both cases, you have up to 90 days after starting the course to activate the labs and your lab time will expire after one year.

AFAIK, the 90 days activation is only applicable to the flat model (days) not the on-demand model (hours): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10814&start=30

I really wish Offensive Security could offer an on-demand model (although I'm sure I've seen explanations on why this isn't possible for them currently).

billv wrote:Again, I’m not aware of anyone else in the industry offering lab time like this.

I haven't used them, but the authors of The Web Application Hacker's Handbook offer lab's at an hourly rate: http://mdsec.net/labs/

billv wrote:I will follow-up in the ethicalhacker.net forums, once I have had an opportunity to take the exam and will share my experience

Looking forward to your follow-up.
Security + | OSWP | eCPPT (Silver & Gold) | CSTA
<<

venom77

Post Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:54 am

Excellent, enjoy guys! And thanks for the link.

Yes, you are correct. The 90-day activation is only for the flat model (block of days).
<<

Armando

Post Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:21 am

WAPT has been completely edited and amended 3 weeks after the release of this review to remove any typo or minor grammatical issue affecting 1.0 version.

All contents are now american english :)

Thanks to the EH community for the valuable feedback as always
Founder and Lead Author of eLearnSecurity
Training for Penetration Testers
http://www.elearnsecurity.com

Founder of HACK.ME Free community based web app security virtual labs
https://hack.me

Return to /root