Newbie here...

<<

kengy

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:04 am

Newbie here...

I am new here, and reay to learn a whole lot. I have had interest in ethical hacking and think have found a place to satisfy my curiousity.

I am a physicist by academic training but likes computer software a lot. i can program in c,a little of java,php etc.

Please i want to really learn ethical hacking and would welcome the best path to start my learning.
<<

rabray

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:41 am

Re: Newbie here...

Depending on your experience of various other technologies.

You may for instance want to start looking at:

Network + or CCNA (if you need networking concepts understanding) type material.
You should also be familiar with both linux and Windows OS
Your programing experience will be useful.

You can then have a look at the likes of CEH, if you want a broad understanding of security concepts.

Perhaps eCPPT if you feel you have the basics under your belt and want to focus more on penetration testing techniques.

Hopefully this helps. There are a number of other discussions in these boards around certification.
---------------------------------------
CEH, eCPPT, MCT, MCSA, MCDST, A+, Net+

Never been the flamin type.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:02 pm

Welcome. Hope we meet your expectations. As to your question on where to start, try the pinned topics in the Network Pen Testing Board.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

j0rDy

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:23 am

Welcome! if you are entirely new to security and want to get down the basics with the terms that go with it, start here: http://www.hackerhighschool.org/ i know it sounds childlike (as it should its for "kids") but they got it pretty good covered! next find a field of interest and go explore! if your skill is a little higher i can recommend CEH, like rabray. Oh and if you have any questions google cant answer, perhaps we can! so feel free to ask!
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

kengy

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:21 pm

j0rDy wrote:Welcome! if you are entirely new to security and want to get down the basics with the terms that go with it, start here: http://www.hackerhighschool.org/ i know it sounds childlike (as it should its for "kids") but they got it pretty good covered! next find a field of interest and go explore! if your skill is a little higher i can recommend CEH, like rabray. Oh and if you have any questions google cant answer, perhaps we can! so feel free to ask!

Thanks for your advice and the link...just wanted to start at that stage coz i know virtually nothing when it comes to security..
<<

kengy

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:27 pm

rabray wrote:Depending on your experience of various other technologies.

You may for instance want to start looking at:

Network + or CCNA (if you need networking concepts understanding) type material.
You should also be familiar with both linux and Windows OS
Your programing experience will be useful.

You can then have a look at the likes of CEH, if you want a broad understanding of security concepts.

Perhaps eCPPT if you feel you have the basics under your belt and want to focus more on penetration testing techniques.

Hopefully this helps. There are a number of other discussions in these boards around certification.

Rabray, would be glad to get any useful link for CCNA, Network+. Thanks.
<<

rabray

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:42 pm

To get you started on your info gathering:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/l ... _home.html

http://www.comptia.org/certifications/l ... twork.aspx

Plenty of books and YouTube videos that are easy to find. Plus discussions in the cert forums here.
---------------------------------------
CEH, eCPPT, MCT, MCSA, MCDST, A+, Net+

Never been the flamin type.

Return to News Items and General Discussion About EH-Net