Anonymous
      Participant

@iSmith wrote:

It’s time somebody created this poll.

I vote Solaris  😉

RoleReversal
      Participant

I’m in the Windows and Linux crowd,

forced to use Windows via company policy/infrastructure, but have a laptop running Linux on my desk permenantly for those ‘Windows can’t do it moments’.

It’s been a life-saver as it’s difficult to deal with user issues if you can’t use the same kit as them.

No point being an ace motor mechanic if all you clients ride push bikes 😉

iSmith
      Participant

@jimbob wrote:

@iSmith wrote:

It’s time somebody created this poll.

I vote Solaris  😉

make your own poll for that, dude.

iSmith
      Participant

just keeping this thread alive

Bogwitch
      Participant

Although it is a small sample group, the results seem pretty clear thus far.
      I would be interested to hear what flavours people are using.
      Personally, I use, in this order of percentage use, Win2000 workstation, Fedora (FC8), Slackware (11+12) and Windows 2000 server.
      My pentest platform is primarily FC8 with Win2k VM.
      Anyone else care to share?

rance
      Participant

OSX here… 🙂

Bogwitch
      Participant

Hi Rance,

What’s the availability of pentest/ VA tools under OSX like?

rance
      Participant

@Bogwitch wrote:

Hi Rance,

What’s the availability of pentest/ VA tools under OSX like?

Can’t complain.  Nessus is native to OS X now.  Most linux tools can be compiled, or they are available through porting efforts such as Fink or Mac Ports (formerly Darwin Ports).  Only downfall I see is Windows only tools, but that can be conquired to a point by virtualization, such as Parallels or VMWare.

pjayes
      Participant

i have 2 windows xp pro boxes, my laptop is vista business, with vm workstation loaded with ubuntu 8.04 and backtrack2, i have one more box which has small business server 2003 on it

Clay Briggs
      Participant

I still haven’t upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04… what do those people who HAVE upgraded think of it?  Fairly stable?  etc, etc?

pjayes
      Participant

i really like ubuntu 8.04. i up graded from 7.10 and all my toys still worked, and i havent seen any problems yet, i however have not seen a reason that if your old version is working nicely to upgrade, i did it out of curiosity and i am pleased, but no major changes that i can see as of yet. Ubuntu was the first disto of linux i started using on a regular basis, and i would recommend it to anyone who wants to start learning linux. it is easily installed and configured, networking is well supported, wireless with the exception of wpa is simple to set up and there is a nice gui to use while you play around with the terminal and become a command line junkie. Check ou nubuntu as well.

pjayes

ohtechwiz
      Participant

My desktop is XP. My laptop triple boots XP, Ubuntu 8.04 & Backtrack 3. Over the last nine months I have really started to prefer linux. However, windows is a necessity to stay employed and work with the rest of the world.

Clay Briggs
      Participant

My lappy is dual boot XP pro/Ubuntu 7.10.  I think I’ll leave it on that for a bit.  My Backtrack is on my handy dandy thumb drive that goes everywhere with me. 😛  I keep XP around just for gaming really, it’s all stripped down and tweaked to game with.  Speaking of which… Sins of a Solar Empire is pretty stinking fun.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?