Which chat (IM) app do you use?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      p0et
      Participant

I had a look on Google and the boards here on EH-Net to see which secure IM program most people use.  Couldn’t find the answer, so I’m curious.. what do you use?  I know there are some which use a Jabber server with Pidgin client, some use OpenFire and others use an OTR plugin with their usual IM client such as MSN or Kopete.

Thanks guys!

Ketchup
      Participant

I use MSN Messenger with SIMP for encryption.  I just use the free version so I don’t get file transfer encryption. 

http://www.secway.fr/us/products/

rattis
      Participant

For work related IM, we’re using google’s talk, with pidgin and the encryption plug-in. It’s only partly set up in the company though. Not everyone is using it. With our facility move (moving from one large location to 3 smaller ones) my department won’t have the time to push for everyone to start using it.

p0et
      Participant

Hmm.. I haven’t tried SIMP before. Maybe I’ll give it a go and see how it looks in Ethereal. 😉  Thanks

sync
      Participant

I use adium on my Mac, Empathy on my Ubuntu box.

jason
      Participant

Pidgin and OTR here…

sync
      Participant

Ah yeah, forgot about OTR 🙂

jason
      Participant

OTR is great, but it can be a little shaky at times. If you’re talking to someone on a different version of the plugin than you have, it will occasionally freak out and spew endless text while it tries to figure out what’s going on. It seems like they need to work a little more on making sure that it doesn’t get into that state. Otherwise, I like it.

hayabusa
      Participant

I use pidgin, with the encryption plugin, regardless of which backend IM service I’m connecting to.  Works with my company chat nicely, as well, and because of the encryption plugin, can keep confidential into out of prying eyes, in the server rooms…

unsupported
      Participant

I use net send messages encrypted with a Caesar cipher.

dynamik
      Participant

@jason wrote:

Pidgin and OTR here…

Same here. We have an internal chat server at our office, and that’s what everyone uses there as well. There is no trust there whatsoever lol.

dravid123
      Participant

I use skype and gtalk 🙂

sil
      Participant

echo + rot13 + write … Pidjin + OTR

j0rDy
      Participant

pidgin for my normal friends, IRC for my 1337 ones  😉

delusion
      Participant

Pidgin @ home, msn on my phone.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?