Where is the router/firewall ??!!!!!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  cyber.spirit 6 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
     cyber.spirit 
    Participant

Hey my best friends

i am in middle of a pentest for my cousins company and iam using ISSAF according to hackingdojo shodan.
    i’ve done these phases:

-Passive info gathering
    -network mapping:

• identifying live hosts (ok)
    • TCP/UDP Port scanning (OK)
    • Banner Grabbing (OK)
    • P/A OS Guessing (OK)

but now i am in identifying router or firewall stage. i performed a traceroute to the target but after some hops i see all stars because those hops doesn’t respond to ICMP packets. now what? how can i identify routers?? pLEaaAse help!!

cyber.spirit 
    Participant

Wait Wait Wait!!!
    The problem is solved i have found a 20 range of their public ip address, seven of the are up 5 of that 7 are servers with alot of same configs and 2 of that 7 are Cisco devices there is no open TCP ports on that two but nmap aggressive scanning says tat they are cisco devices

now tell me please

1- how can i find which of them is router or switch?
    2- how can i which network they are routing

please help i have complete the project three days later. thanks

Grendel 
    Participant

It may not matter. The purpose of identifying the customer’s routers and switches is to see if you can attack an administrative port (ssh, telnet, and/or snmp). Otherwise, just keep moving on.

BTW, we discuss that in the Nidan class.

cyber.spirit 
    Participant

@grendel wrote:

It may not matter. The purpose of identifying the customer’s routers and switches is to see if you can attack an administrative port (ssh, telnet, and/or snmp). Otherwise, just keep moving on.

BTW, we discuss that in the Nidan class.

Hi Thomas.
    How are you? Thanx for your help i know that, your are right and i don’t know cisco hacking but i am really curious to know what those devices are i think they are routers not firewalls but why they dont have any open ports. Anyway thanks i’ll go to the next stage

dynamik 
    Participant

Switches and routers are Layer-2 and -3 devices, respectively, and do not use TCP or UDP ports to operate. Anything at a higher level than the frame or packet is simply seen as the data payload.

cyber.spirit 
    Participant

@ajohnson wrote:

Switches and routers are Layer-2 and -3 devices, respectively, and do not use TCP or UDP ports to operate. Anything at a higher level than the frame or packet is simply seen as the data payload.

Well, Well, yup that is right TCP/UDP ports are for higher levels in osi or tcp/ip models and i already know that. As i mentioned before they are using cisco stuff and It’s better to configure your Cisco device to accept the ssh or at-least telnet connections for later configs because the router/switch is in server room there is so cold and it is hard to config the switch using consol cable, that is why i thought it’s strange for a router. anway thanks for your info.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2019 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?