What’s the right IT/Information Security Certification for me?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      adrianodl
      Participant

Dear colleagues,
      This is a question we frequently ask ourselves throughout our career, but the answer is not as simple as it seems.

I’ve written an article that might help you to build a strategy when pursuing certifications.

http://www.myinfosecjob.com/2010/02/whats-the-right-information-security-certification-for-me/

Feel free to comment both here and there; your opinion is always important!

Adriano

Dark_Knight
      Participant

Good read. I like the Y-Approach so much so that I borrowed it on my blog ;D

adrianodl
      Participant

@Dark_Knight wrote:

Good read. I like the Y-Approach so much so that I borrowed it on my blog ;D

Dear Dark Knight, thank you very much for spreading the word! In my case, I’ve sat for many technical certifications in the past (+5 ago), but for the past couple of years I’ve taken all the Managerial/Compliance as I mentioned in the article (since that’s what my current career position asks for). What I see happening to me now is that my technical knowledge got very rusty, therefore I’m planning to sit for one or 2 more technical certifications just to refresh my knowledge.

As I said, I’ve spent the past couple of years performing high level security assessments (ISO, PCI-DSS, COBIT, etc), audits and was happy withthat. Until a couple of days ago when I had an interviewer asking me to “give example of protocols sitting on the transport level”… That was a SHAME. I obviously didn’t have the answer at the top of my mind, even though I was a network/firewall administrator for such a long time in my career.

I got so upset that I decided to write an article about the topic… I’ll let you know 😉

Dark_Knight
      Participant

I look forward to that article. I have also been checking out the rest of your site and I must say its great.  So I’m now Subscribed.Keep up the great work.

Dutchie
      Participant

Good article Adriano! Thx.

Put choices people have to make within their career path in a good constructive prospective!!

j0rDy
      Participant

funny, i started the other way around. when i landed my security job, i immediately pursuit CISSP. i’m not saying it was the best idea, but i’m glad i did. another thing to keep in mind that could come in handy is this:

http://www.bankinfosecurity.com/careers/articles.php?art_id=2025&pg=2

remember that the only gain you will have is with the points mentioned by Adriano!

oneeyedcarmen
      Participant

Very nice write up, Adriano! I’ve also been moving more into a less technical role, doing more audit  and C&A type work of late.

Oh, and I, too, have now added your blog to my subscriptions.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?