Vuln Scanner

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      timmedin
      Participant

I’ve used a few different ones but other than the results format have you guys found one to be better at finding issues than another? I haven’t found any differences between them in finding vulnerabilities have any of you?

Ketchup
      Participant

I’ve primarily used Nessus and Retina.  Retina seems to be a bit more accurate, but Nessus has come a long way.  I don’t know if the accuracy factor is worth the much higher price however. 

hunter
      Participant

nessus for general purpose is a good choice.

nmap and amap are flexible tools, nikto v1 works better with the mutate option then nikto 2. Fuzzers like Jbrofuzz for a closer look and then some specialiced tools against known daemons.

hunter

timmedin
      Participant

@Ketchup wrote:

I’ve primarily used Nessus and Retina.   Retina seems to be a bit more accurate, but Nessus has come a long way.  I don’t know if the accuracy factor is worth the much higher price however.   

Retina is one I haven’t used.

Michael J. Conway
      Participant

I’ve played with Retina, GFI LanGard, and Nexpose while looking for somethingg to replace Nessus. I found that I still prefered Nessus. I just felt I was getting better more consistent results here in our lab with it.

ethicalhack3r
      Participant

As Nessus is no longer opensource. What opensource alternatives are there?

MicroJay
      Participant

I utilize Nessus with nmap thrown in.  I use it primarily to verify a third party scan results for PCI.  Also use it for inbetween the quarterly scans to see if anything ‘pops’ up.

Michael J. Conway
      Participant

You could try openVas. IT is basically Nessus and is supposed to be compatible with Nessus plug-ins. I haven’t had much luck with it though.

timmedin
      Participant

@sgt_mjc wrote:

You could try openVas. IT is basically Nessus and is supposed to be compatible with Nessus plug-ins. I haven’t had much luck with it though.

Seems to me that OpenVAS is dying a slow death. I wouldn’t consider it an enterprise solution. You can still use Nessus for free, but it isn’t the professional feed.

hackernovice
      Participant

I prefer Nessus to retina.

I also like Saint, using Backtrack 2-3 Linux

Kev
      Participant

Nessus along with GFI LanGard.  Nessus seems to work better with fragmentation for the networks that allow frag packets. 

Michael J. Conway
      Participant

I also noticed that I do get beeter results with Retina if I have credentials. Unfortunately(or furtunately), our cleint will not give us credientials. Happy scanning.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?