university course

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

i have just applied for a course in ethical hacking and digital security, has anyone completed a similar course? if so, what arw the advantages when gaining employment of taking it over a more general computing degree? thanks

ethicalhack3r
      Participant

Hi Richard,
      I am a second year Ethical Hacking for Computer Security student Northumbria Uni’s CEIS. I guessing the course you will be taking is at Glasgow’s Caledonian University?

I’m not sure of the ins and outs of your particular course however at Northumbria they teach us C/C++ programming, Networking (inc CCNA), ORACLE DBMS/SQL, forensics, ethical hacking, consultancy and more. If you completed your degree and wanted to take another path in IT rather than the security one, in my opinion you would have enough knowledge to go into programming, networking or another aspect of IT if you wished.

I would also like to say that I wouldn’t expect to learn everthing there is to know about information security within your 4 year degree. A lot of what I have learnt has been learnt outside of university working on projects, experimenting, reading books, online resources, conferences and casual pentest work for different companies.

If you have any other questions let me know.

joe_fun
      Participant

Hi Guys,
      Do any of these universities have a course website online to go over their slides and see how they are?

UNIX
      Participant

Isn’t there something like an “open day” where you could go into the university and see things by yourself? Maybe you could also ask if you are allowed to participate one or two days classes, so that you see and experience everything yourself.

I would also like to say that I wouldn’t expect to learn everthing there is to know about information security within your 4 year degree. A lot of what I have learnt has been learnt outside of university working on projects, experimenting, reading books, online resources, conferences and casual pentest work for different companies.

I second that.

If you are sure about IT-Security and that that is what you want to do in future, I would go for a school which is specialized in this, otherwise a more general one would be fine as well. A big part really depends on what you are willing to put into it.

Good luck with your decision.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?