Ticket scalpers go high tech and big bucks with $25 million profit.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      unsupported
      Participant

Ever lose your chance to purchase those ever important, once in a lifetime Miley Cyrus tickets?

Blame Wiseguys!  They found a way to game the reCaptcha system by generating fake requests on Facebook to obtain the captcha IDs.  They obtained all the system captchas, solved them, and then used a massive botnet to purchase tickets to music and sporting events.  Genius.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/03/wiseguys-indicted/

zeroflaw
      Participant

Whoa, that’s pretty damn clever 😮

unsupported
      Participant

@zeroflaw wrote:

Whoa, that’s pretty damn clever 😮

Makes you wonder why we didn’t think of it first, eh?  Without the ” unethical hacking” part. 🙂

hayabusa
      Participant

Creative thinking… 

Ketchup
      Participant

I can’t stand scalpers.  I think it’s time to crack down on these a-holes and put them out of business. 

former33t
      Participant

One thing that I notice decidedly low tech about this is that they used cutouts to actually make the ticket purchases.  If not for the reselling, this could potentially have been marketed as a service for people who wanted to get great seats.  As in: subscribe with us and we’ll get you in the queue to get a better shot at premium tickets than you’d have otherwise.  Instead of doing something useful (and questionably legal) they just crossed clear over the line to do something patently illegal.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?