The Cyber Genome Project

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      morpheus063
      Participant

The Cyber Genome Project – pieces of your digital life will be as traceable as your DNA

DARPA (The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency), the Pentagon agency that created the internet we all know and love has been trying to develop new ways to overcome cyber crime for the past six months. It has finally come out with something productive – the ‘Cyber Genome Program’ – which is a four-year, $43 million program. This will allow any digital artifact – a document, or a piece of malware – to be probed to its very origins.

Click here to read more…

unsupported
      Participant

DARPA believes that this can identify the best-of-the-best hackers.

I am unsure how to read this.  From the article, I am assuming they are referring to the best-of-the-worst hax0rs?

I think this has interesting implications which the tin-foiled hat people will be concerned about.  If they are able to find hackers, then they would be able to anyone identity online!

Find some of those pesky Chinese Human Rights activists for political re-education.

You will no longer have anonymity on the ‘net.

Ketchup
      Participant

What about all the polymorphic stuff out there?  How would they “finger-print” that?

unsupported
      Participant

@Ketchup wrote:

What about all the polymorphic stuff out there?   How would they “finger-print” that?

Interesting question.  I am sure there are still root details which can be identified as unique to each piece of code, regardless of how it is morphed or obfuscated.

I am sure you could get a good answer on January 29, 2010 at the Ballston Hilton, 950 North Stafford Street, Arlington, VA 22203 from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST. Where they are presenting this project. 🙂

Ketchup
      Participant

I could be one of those answers where you nod because it totally makes sense, and the go, “wait, what?  he didn’t really say anything.” 

This project actually sounds similar to what Gargoyle already does. 

http://www.wetstonetech.com/cgi-bin/shop.cgi?view,2

UNIX
      Participant

Haven’t heard of Gargoyle before, but sounds as interesting as the Genome Project.

unsupported
      Participant

@Ketchup wrote:

I could be one of those answers where you nod because it totally makes sense, and the go, “wait, what?  he didn’t really say anything.”

There are people who have built careers out of this.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?