Social Engineering: The Art of Human Hacking

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      UNIX
      Participant

Seems like a great Christmas present: Social Engineering: The Art of Human Hacking. 🙂

Anquilas
      Participant

Agreed 🙂 It’s on my wish-list for sure.

WetSock52
      Participant

UPS just delivered my copy yesterday.  Can’t put it down.  An excellent read.

Data_Raid
      Participant

My copy arrived a few days ago and I’ve read a few pages and skimmed over some random chapters/pages and so far, it’s a very interesting book. I’m hoping to read the entire book soon and hopefully provide a detailed review.

Clay Briggs
      Participant

I look forward to hearing the review Data.  I love the cover, that’s a good start heh. After I finish my xfit cert and my cissp, that might be a good ‘cool down’ book heh.

rabray
      Participant

Got my copy  ;D but still reading some other materials at the moment. I’ll hopefully get to it soon and come back with views.

Clay Briggs
      Participant

Nice, lucky bugger.

jacobadam
      Participant

Yes, i agree that. Its only for company brad promotion and marketing. And they thinking how to make attention from human or customers.

Anonymous
      Participant

Was about to buy this book today but have to many to read at the moment. it is on my wish list so should get round to it soon.

rattis
      Participant

@Jamie.R wrote:

Was about to buy this book today but have to many to read at the moment. it is on my wish list so should get round to it soon.

That didn’t stop me, I still bought it. 🙂

Got my copy a few weeks ago, but haven’t gotten to it yet. Actually other than the web, which is mostly Here, email, hockey game twitter and the toool forum (as far as I use it these days), I haven’t read much at all.

caissyd
      Participant

Can someone write a short review of this book? I am interested, but unsure at the moment…

I saw a review stating:

This book is not written for people in the security field, nor is it really written for people who want to know more about their personal security.

And…

Overall the three things I took from this book are: 1) shred your trash so dumpster divers can’t find sensitive information; 2) don’t use company email for non-business matters because SE’s can use that information to create enticing emails with malware hidden in them; and 3) every time you put information onto anything – Facebook, hobby sites, fan clubs, even Amazon – there are many software packages out there that SE’s can use to collect all that information and make profiles to use against you.

So, I am not that sure about it…

lorddicranius
      Participant

Those quotes were only from one Amazon review.  31 of the 34 current reviews are 5 stars, and I recognize a few of those names from the infosec industry.  I’ve only picked up the book and read through it for about 4hrs while at Barnes and Noble one day, but from what I was able to read it was not as bad as that reviewer made it out to be.  Nothing against Kevin Mitnick, but I’d say “very broad, no depth” would apply better to “Art of Deception” when compared to this book.

caissyd
      Participant

Thanks lorddicranius

I tend to only read bad reviews because I find I rarely learn anything useful from the 5 stars. But that being said, I can make up my own mind and not just believe everything they say!  😀

rabray
      Participant

Apologies for got to come back with my view on this book. http://rabray.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/social-engineering-the-art-of-human-hacking-review/

Certainly enjoyed it. Gave me ideas for things to check out further.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?