Skype Valentine spam lure

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Xen
      Participant

Websense Security Labs™ ThreatSeeker™ Network has spotted an emerging malicious spam lure, masquerading as a message from Skype.

The spammed message uses Skype’s logos and themes, posing as a Valentine promotion. With two days to go before Valentine’s day, the fake promotion entices the user into sending a free Valentine video message to a loved one. The proposed video link in the message leads to a malicious compressed archive file named valentine.exe located at http://[removed]ftp.com/skype.com/valentine/valentine.exe (SHA1: e5f752badaf0fbc0afcf3081ac10bf781da59de6).

Executing the file installs a version of Skype along with an IRC backdoor file named: spoolsv.exe.
      http://securitylabs.websense.com/content/Alerts/3305.aspx

Ne0
      Participant

at the Counter Terror Expo in London. An industry source disclosed that America’s supersecret National Security Agency (NSA) is offering “billions” to any firm which can offer reliable eavesdropping on Skype IM and voice traffic.

The spybiz exec, who preferred to remain anonymous, confirmed that Skype continues to be a major problem for government listening agencies, spooks and police. This was already thought to be the case, following requests from German authorities for special intercept/bugging powers to help them deal with Skype-loving malefactors. Britain’s GCHQ has also stated that it has severe problems intercepting VoIP and internet communication in general.

Skype in particular is a serious problem for spooks and cops. Being P2P, the network can’t be accessed by the company providing it and the authorities can’t gain access by that route. The company won’t disclose details of its encryption, either, and isn’t required to as it is Europe based. This lack of openness prompts many security pros to rubbish Skype on “security through obscurity” grounds: but nonetheless it remains a popular choice with those who think they might find themselves under surveillance. Rumour suggests that America’s NSA may be able to break Skype encryption – assuming they have access to a given call or message – but nobody else.

NickFnord
      Participant

last I heard, rumour had it that NSA agents can break RSA, walk on water and intercept forum posts before people hit the “post” bu

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

;D

:-X

Don

jason
      Participant

Everyone knows that NSA agents don’t *have* to walk on water. The water knows better than to still be in the way by the time their feet hit the ground.

Ne0
      Participant

gluppp glupp gluppp gluppp

Ne0
      Participant

NASA or CIA dont have a sh1t with them they copy our ideas, they steal our men, and utilise for them self

jason
      Participant

Not to mention more computing power than god…

Ne0
      Participant

hands without brains of no use,
      they have money we have brains , we melt for money thats what make them on a step high, or they would just mend wht they have and keep on mending and look at each others face’s 😛

NickFnord
      Participant

@Ne0 wrote:

hands without brains of no use,
      they have money we have brains , we melt for money thats what make them on a step high, or they would just mend wht they have and keep on mending and look at each others face’s 😛

hmmm – I read this twice.  is it some sort of zen poem?
      I tried to summarise and got this:

Hands without brains
      No use is money, need brains
      we have all the brains

we melt for money.
      that’s what makes them a step high
      just mend what they have

Keep on mending.
      Look at each others Faces!

nope, sorry I still don’t get it.  ???

Ne0
      Participant

hahah Nickford i didnt say any poem man read it carefully i said something for hackers hahaha…

timmedin
      Participant

@Ne0 wrote:

hahah Nickford i didnt say any poem man read it carefully i said something for hackers hahaha…

I’m with Nick.  ???

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?