Sharpening the Saw

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #3585
      timmedin
      Participant

      What do you guys do to stay relevant and keep up to date?

    • #23276
      morpheus063
      Participant

      Come here daily and interact in the forums / posts :).

    • #23277
      timmedin
      Participant

      @Manu Zacharia (-M-) wrote:

      Come here daily and interact in the forums / posts :).

      Well duh… ;D
      but what else do you guys do? I listen to 30 podcasts and follow a bunch of blogs. What else do you guys do?

    • #23278
      jason
      Participant

      Read *alot* of books, training, conferences, webcasts, professional organizations, teaching, certs.

    • #23279
      Jhaddix
      Participant

      @timmedin wrote:

      @Manu Zacharia (-M-) wrote:

      Come here daily and interact in the forums / posts :).

      Well duh… ;D
      but what else do you guys do? I listen to 30 podcasts and follow a bunch of blogs. What else do you guys do?

      1) Well, 30 blogs is good, but there are many more. I have a custom OPML file which includes mine, most of my instructors from SANS, the security bloggers network, and tons of other feeds.

      2) I also stay up on podcasts, as you do, i’m sure i don’t have to name the big ones.

      3) TWITTER… man i have to say.. TWITTER.  Create a  separate non personal account, and follow everybody. I follow most of the SANS instructors, podcast makers, security bloggers, AV companies, everyone. You will be surprised how often people release cool stuff early or exclusively  on twitter.

      4) Stay up on CORE’s and SANS Webcasts, also the SANS reading room and ISC.

      5) Follow sites such as Dojosec.com, Learnsecurityonline.com, theacademypro.com, mubix’s links, etc.

      6) Go to Cons and training obviously.

      7) Follow Syngress, Wiley, McGraw-Hill, publishing and check  their new releases.

      if i think of more ill reply =)

    • #23280
      Ketchup
      Participant

      I also read milw0rm and look for aliases and names of people that submit exploits and papers.  I search for them and sometimes find forums and IRC channels they frequent.  I join them and see what the blackhats are up to.  Sometimes its interesting, sometimes not.  I think that it helps to know what’s going in the blackhat community.

    • #23281
      Ketchup
      Participant

      3) TWITTER… man i have to say.. TWITTER.  Create a  separate non personal account, and follow everybody. I follow most of the SANS instructors, podcast makers, security bloggers, AV companies, everyone. You will be surprised how often people release cool stuff early or exclusively  on twitter.

      I never thought of that.  Good idea! 

    • #23282
      Anonymous
      Participant

      2) I also stay up on podcasts, as you do, i’m sure i don’t have to name the big ones.

      I don’t listen to many podcasts, could you list a few good ones?

    • #23283
      Jhaddix
      Participant
    • #23284
      timmedin
      Participant

      @Brian G wrote:

      I don’t listen to many podcasts, could you list a few good ones?

      Twitter is fantastic! Nothing like a brief chat with the “top dogs.” Plus a fantastic networking opportunity.

      Here is a list off of the top of my head. I can’t remember them all, but these are the best ones.

      Podcasts:
      PaulDotCom Security Weekly – Pen Testing
      Cyberspeak – Forensics
      Data Security Podcast – News
      ISC Podcast – Emerging Threats & News
      Network Security Blog (Podcast) – News & PCI Spin

      Blogs:
      CarnalOwnage (done by our own Chris Gates, BTW, love the blog)
      Impacta LLC
      Metasploit Blog
      Command Line Kung Fu Blog
      McGrew Security Blog
      Tenable Blog
      SANS ISC

      RSS Feeds:
      Milw0rm
      Security Focus
      US-Cert
      CSO Online
      Full Disclosure
      Microsoft Security Bulletins
      Websens Security Labs
      Cisco Security Notices
      The Academy Pro

      Also, I would suggest to never turn down the webcasts from SANS and EH.Net. I have never been disappointed.

    • #23285
      Dark_Knight
      Participant

      @Jhaddix wrote:

      @timmedin wrote:

      @Manu Zacharia (-M-) wrote:

      Come here daily and interact in the forums / posts :).

      Well duh… ;D
      but what else do you guys do? I listen to 30 podcasts and follow a bunch of blogs. What else do you guys do?

      1) Well, 30 blogs is good, but there are many more. I have a custom OPML file which includes mine, most of my instructors from SANS, the security bloggers network, and tons of other feeds.

      2) I also stay up on podcasts, as you do, i’m sure i don’t have to name the big ones.

      3) TWITTER… man i have to say.. TWITTER.  Create a  separate non personal account, and follow everybody. I follow most of the SANS instructors, podcast makers, security bloggers, AV companies, everyone. You will be surprised how often people release cool stuff early or exclusively  on twitter.

      4) Stay up on CORE’s and SANS Webcasts, also the SANS reading room and ISC.

      5) Follow sites such as Dojosec.com, Learnsecurityonline.com, theacademypro.com, mubix’s links, etc.

      6) Go to Cons and training obviously.

      7) Follow Syngress, Wiley, McGraw-Hill, publishing and check  their new releases.

      if i think of more ill reply =)

      Thanks for that Jhaddix

    • #23286
      timmedin
      Participant

      @Jhaddix wrote:

      1) Well, 30 blogs is good, but there are many more. I have a custom OPML file which includes mine, most of my instructors from SANS, the security bloggers network, and tons of other feeds.

      Mind sharing the OPML?

    • #23287
      Jhaddix
      Participant

      @timmedin wrote:

      @Jhaddix wrote:

      1) Well, 30 blogs is good, but there are many more. I have a custom OPML file which includes mine, most of my instructors from SANS, the security bloggers network, and tons of other feeds.

      Mind sharing the OPML?

      i did!  =P
      http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,54/topic,3492.msg16190/#msg16190

    • #23288
      RoleReversal
      Participant

      Spooky timing, I’ve just (literally) added an RSS page to my site that I’ve intended to use to keep track of all my RSS feed sources, bounced over to EH-net after a weeks holiday to see what I’ve missed and found this thread sitting at the top :D.

      Have a look to see what you think, looks like I’ll have a fair few more to add after fully reading through this thread though, thanks for sharing guys.

      And I’m going to have to take a closer look at the Twitter idea, hadn’t thought of that.

    • #23289
      Ketchup
      Participant

      i did!  =P
      http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,54/topic,3492.msg16190/#msg16190

      Thanks.  I went to the link in the referenced post and got a 404 on the file.  Any chance you can repost it?

    • #23290
      Jhaddix
      Participant

      here ya go, sorry bout that

      http://www.securityaegis.com/?p=35

    • #23291
      BillV
      Participant

      Wow.. it’d take me a day just to go through your list, lol.. very intense

    • #23292
      Jhaddix
      Participant

      hehe, i don’t get through all of it everyday, i just scan what interests me 😛

    • #23293
      Ketchup
      Participant

      That’s a great list.  Thanks!  Much appreciate it.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?