SANS Work Study!!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      unsupported
      Participant

I am in the process of negotiating the SANS Work Study program with my manager.  I will know by the end of the day if work will pay the $800.  Which is greatly reduced from the full tuition.

I’ve all ready been accepted as a work study participant.  While the course I have been accepted in is a course I would like to take and get certified in, I would much prefer to have the study material, self-study material, and certification attempt for another course.  How easy would it be to have that option available?

If I remember correctly, I’ve read it is not very hard to explain my plight and have this changed.  Is that correct?  If so, who do I need to talk to?  The person who contacted me from SANS for the work study, or someone at the SANS event?

Thanks!  (I know vijay has experience, and I believe jhaddix does as well, but anyone else is welcome to comment, please!)

Jhaddix
      Participant

Hey Unsupported,

SANS has changed a lot of things in their facilitator program over the last year. The best thing to do is talk to your conference manager when you get there. They might be able to switch you into the course you perfer, but its all at their discretion.

Sorry i couldn’t be of more help!

unsupported
      Participant

That’s perfect.  I will ltalk to the conference manager once I get there.

My manager is 90% sure I will have the funding especially since the $800 covers a certification attempt.  He is just working on securing a charge number to cover my hours.

unsupported
      Participant

I was approved after providing justification on how the training relates to my job.  It was a little stretch, but it was approved.  WOOHOO!

BigPrince
      Participant

Congrats!  They have made a lot of changes and I’m interested in seeing how Facilitating will be this year.  Can’t say I’m happy about it going up $100 and having to pay extra for any equipment in the class but it is cheaper than full price.

unsupported
      Participant

I knew the price went up, but I did not know that facilitators did not used to have to pay for equipment.  I guess it makes sense.  They are discounting their bottom line, the instructors, but still requiring you to pay for the course materials, the certification, and miscellaneous.

I am looking forward because this is my first time in the work study.  I signed up last year, but couldn’t get the funding from work.

UNIX
      Participant

Great that you got approved. Which course will it be?

unsupported
      Participant

SEC505: Securing Windows with Fossen.  It fits in nicely with my GSE long term plan (ie one less gold paper).

BigPrince
      Participant

505 is a great class.  I thought I knew Windows(I had my MCITP: EA already) until that class.  I will say though to be prepared to go the full time.  Jason will not finish a class early.  He definitely believes in getting you your money’s worth and will go as long as anyone in class wants.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?