SANS Holiday Challenge 2012

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      m0wgli
      Participant

A new Holiday challenge by Ed Skoudis & Tim Medin called A Miser Brothers Weather Control System Challenge has just been released over on: http://pen-testing.sans.org/holiday-challenge/2012  🙂

dbest
      Participant

Pretty interesting.. finding it hard to read the numbers… if you know what i mean…

hayabusa
      Participant

Ditto

hayabusa
      Participant

Submitting my answers tonight / tomorrow.

Enjoyed this one!  Learned some new tricks, and had to think outside the box a couple of times.

m0wgli
      Participant

Well done! I’m still trying to get into level 4 on Snow Miser and level 5 on Heat Miser.

Note to self: “Try Harder™”

hayabusa
      Participant

Admittedly, Snow Miser Zone 4 slowed me down a bit, too.  Knew what it was, right away, but figuring out exactly how they did it, so I could solve it, made me think that little extra bit harder.

Dark_Knight
      Participant

@dbest wrote:

Pretty interesting.. finding it hard to read the numbers… if you know what i mean…

Yeah I cant make them out for nothing. Must be another easier way.

hayabusa
      Participant

Unsure if there was an ‘easier’ way, but I took the parts I could make out and improvised the possibilities on the rest, until I got that part.

Dark_Knight
      Participant

@hayabusa wrote:

Unsure if there was an ‘easier’ way, but I took the parts I could make out and improvised the possibilities on the rest, until I got that part.

And I have FOUR eyes 🙂

hayabusa
      Participant

As SHOULD I, but didn’t have my specs on…  Gave me a headache!

tturner
      Participant

There IS an easier way. Only took me 2 tries. Use your tools to aid your eyes. 🙂 What’s disappointing is how I got one of the later flags. Not sure I did it the right way, felt like cheating but got the answer. ;P

hayabusa
      Participant

Thinking maybe we got the same ‘later one’, the same way. Perhaps…  Perhaps not…  But I did have a similar experience.

Triban
      Participant

one of these days I’ll figure out what to do here.  I really like attempting these but sometimes feel clueless.  Maybe I’ll talk so of the guys at the space to show me their magic on Saturday. 

tturner
      Participant

There are tons of hints both on the twitter feeds as well as the questions that are asked in the game posting. Just dive in and it will start falling into place. 🙂

hayabusa
      Participant

You can do it.  As tturner noted, there are enough hints to keep you moving, if you need them.

m0wgli
      Participant

@hayabusa wrote:

Admittedly, Snow Miser Zone 4 slowed me down a bit, too.  Knew what it was, right away, but figuring out exactly how they did it, so I could solve it, made me think that little extra bit harder.

I’ve done Heat Miser now, but this ones still giving me problems. I think I’m on the right track, but haven’t got there yet. Anyhow, It’s proving to be educational. 🙂

hayabusa
      Participant

Always gotta hand it to Ed (and now Tim)…  They definitely get the wheels turning.  😉

Stay with it.  That level isn’t as hard as it seems (once you figure out how to go about it.)

rattis
      Participant

@hayabusa wrote:

You can do it.  As tturner noted, there are enough hints to keep you moving, if you need them.

yet I manged to completely miss them. well got the google hit, but didn’t bother.

dbest
      Participant

Will have a go again tonight… Need to get my eyes checked… 🙂

Triban
      Participant

I’m lame, can’t even figure out how to get past the first zone :-p  I keep thinking I find something but leads to a dead end or I don’t know how to use what I find.  This is one of those things I wish I could get a better handle on.  Unfortunately the StrategicSec CTF was a bust.

m0wgli
      Participant

@hayabusa wrote:

Always gotta hand it to Ed (and now Tim)…  They definitely get the wheels turning.  😉

Stay with it.  That level isn’t as hard as it seems (once you figure out how to go about it.)

Challenge completed. 🙂 I’m kicking myself as I was so close a few day’s ago, I probably spent longer getting the URL for Snow Miser zone 4 than the other nine zones combined.  :-[

hayabusa
      Participant

From what I’ve heard from others, you’re definitely not the only one who fought that zone  😉

Glad you made it!

hayabusa
      Participant
      Triban
      Participant

I messed around and got through a couple of the zones but then just ran out of some free time to concentrate on it.  I did like that I wasn’t far off on some of the things I was thinking to get past those first couple.  Would have been lost at the crypto pieces though.  There is always next year!

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?