Sans GCIA

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Dark_Knight
      Participant

So having just recently completed the GWAPT, I now have my sights  set on the GCIA.  🙂

Any thoughts?

dynamik
      Participant

What’s there to think about? DO IT! ;D

Congrats on the GWAPT, btw.

morpheus063
      Participant

Congrats Dark_Knight and all the best for your next move – You can do it 🙂

Also I would request your experience preparing for GWAPT so that interested members can get some inputs and plan accordingly

Dark_Knight
      Participant

Thanks for the responses guys  🙂

@Manu Zacharia (-M-) wrote:

Congrats Dark_Knight and all the best for your next move – You can do it 🙂

Also I would request your experience preparing for GWAPT so that interested members can get some inputs and plan accordingly

Already done in another thread  🙂

What90
      Participant

It’s a great course, and very different from GWAPT.

I’d offer the advice to read up on hex and packets before hand. This will help  avoid the head crushing pain of attempting to read packets in Hex on day two 🙂

Laura Chappell’s excellent Wireshark box would be a great pre-course read too.

dynamik
      Participant

@What90 wrote:

I’d offer the advice to read up on hex and packets before hand. This will help  avoid the head crushing pain of attempting to read packets in Hex on day two 🙂

Do you have any good resources for this? I’ve gone through the Wireshark book and have several other TCP/IP books, and there’s always the RFCs. I didn’t know if there were any other online tutorials, etc. Thanks.

ziggy_567
      Participant

I do not have my GCIA, dynamic, but I took one of the practice tests about a month ago (trying to figure out if I’m going to challenge it or not). I would suggest reading a Snort book or two. At the very least, read the online documentation for Snort.

I don’t believe Wireshark is included in the exam objectives, but Snort definitely is!

Good luck!

Dark_Knight
      Participant

Update: So I passed this exam earlier this week.

In addition to the courseware I also used Practical Packet Analysis by Chris Sanders and referenced Fyodors Nmap Network Scanning book.

As with all SANS courses, indexing the material is key.

The course material was interesting. I assure you that when your through you will no longer look at an IDS/IPS the same way. Being able to read raw packets and interpret the HEX was fun.

Had a good time.

Anonymous
      Participant

Well done 😛

Porter Carey 423
      Participant

So I’m trying my best to make time to study for my SANS Intrusion Analyst (GCIA) exams. I just passed a practice test using no resources whatsoever, so that boosted my confidence a bit, but overall I’m a bit worried.I’ve had to put forth relatively little effort to get the certifications I have thus far, but I’m thinking this one’s going to be different. This one is the first that’s supposed to represent actual expertise, as opposed to just familiarity. ;D

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?