Practical Malware Analysis pre-order special

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Triban
      Participant

So NoStarch has a special pre-order for the book:
      http://nostarch.com/malware.htm

If you buy the printed version you get a free copy of the ebook.  If you use REVERSIT coupon code this week, you get 40% off.  The book comes out on the 29th but you will get the ebook immediately.  Not sure if they meant for that to happen, but maybe it was a nice little treat.

I am trying to refrain from starting the book since I don’t want to deviate from eCPPT.  It is tough though 😀

dynamik
      Participant

This coupon code is invalid or has expired. 🙁

It looks like a great book though. I’ve added it to my Amazon wishlist.

Triban
      Participant

woops I mispelled REVERSEIT forgot the last ‘E’  😀

idr0p
      Participant

Ordered!!! thanks!

hayabusa
      Participant

Ordered, as well.  Thanks for the heads up, 3xban!

dbest
      Participant

Ordering right away.

dbest
      Participant

Breezed through the Primer and First chapter. The Primer provides a basic introduction, but not sure about the message its trying to provide with the following:
      “Knowing the type of malware helps speed up the analysis, then lists down the types of malware and immediately follows it with caveat stating that one should not get too caught up with classifying the type of malware.”

The first chapter talks about basic static analysis, with strings and reading the PE header.

Need to continue reading the book. 🙂

Eleven
      Participant

@dbest wrote:

Breezed through the Primer and First chapter. The Primer provides a basic introduction, but not sure about the message its trying to provide with the following:
      “Knowing the type of malware helps speed up the analysis, then lists down the types of malware and immediately follows it with caveat stating that one should not get too caught up with classifying the type of malware.”

The first chapter talks about basic static analysis, with strings and reading the PE header.

Need to continue reading the book. 🙂

I think what the authors were trying to say was knowing the general functionality of malware can be helpful in analysis, but since a lot of malware falls into multiple categories you shouldn’t get too caught up in trying to give it a name.

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

What kind of knowledge would you need to have to fully understand most subjects in the book?

Eleven
      Participant

@YuckTheFankees wrote:

What kind of knowledge would you need to have to fully understand most subjects in the book?

Paraphrasing the prerequisites part…

Chapters 1 – 3 you’ll be able to understand without security or programming experience.
      Chapters 4 – 14 provide you with intermediate skills needed to analyze most malware.  You’ll should have programming experience.
      Chapters 15 – 19 are advanced and cover sophisticated malware that use self-defending techniques.

I’m almost on chapter 7 (skipped chapter 5 on IDA Pro) and I haven’t had a problem understanding anything, but I’ve already been reading some stuff on assembly.  I think they do a good job on explaining it to someone who doesn’t know anything about assembly.

You can also read chapter 12 and check out the preview on Amazon.com to see for yourself.

Anonymous
      Participant

Looks good but sadly seem to be USA only offer you guys get all the good stuff 😛

Eleven
      Participant

@Jamie.R wrote:

Looks good but sadly seem to be USA only offer you guys get all the good stuff 😛

http://nostarch.com/newsletters/practicalmalwareanalysis.htm

I’ve seen this all over twitter and this is the first time I’ve heard someone say it was only for the US.

dbest
      Participant

Ordered. Not for the USA, and the offer was valid.

@Eleven – I understand what the author meant, but just seemed ironic. 🙂

Triban
      Participant

RESIST RESIST!  I suppose it can’t hurt if I fire it up when I am on lunch or something. 😀

Anonymous
      Participant

I thought it was going be one them good offers that were only open to USA residents what sucsk but it was not got a copy on order so pleased 😛

MrTuxracer
      Participant

sounds like a good investment…just pre-ordered 🙂

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?